The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb Feature Requests
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Status bar should indicate links that open in new window Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
One thing I'd really like is if the status bar would tell me when a link will open a new window. It drives me nuts when links open in a new window, but there is currently no way to block 'target="_blank"' (without also blocking JS popups, which I don't want to do); as such, at least I'd be able to know if a link will open a new window if the status bar indicated that.

Ideally there should also be a keyboard modifier to make a link open in the *current* tab (if there are any still available).

You can open any link in the current window by grabbing the link, dragging it outside the window and then back into the window again.

This is just a special case of the more general "drag a link into any window or into the thumbnail drawer"

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumby
You can open any link in the current window by grabbing the link, dragging it outside the window and then back into the window again.
Actually, it seems that doesn't work anymore. I recall it doing that in earlier versions of OW (and I'm not quite sure when it went away), but (in 5.5b3 at least) it doesn't do that anymore. Personally, I disliked that drag-out-and-back-in "feature" anyway. Maybe I just changed my mind about dragging something out (in which case you have to "put it back") and now it's replaced what I was looking at. IMO it was unintuitive and inconsistent with all other apps that support drag-and-drop.

Either way, I can't be bothered to do all that to open a link (I find it annoying when the tab drawer and/or other programs start reacting to the drag). IMO it's less hassle to just command-click (or middle-click) the link and close the previous tab. Would be even better if I could just hold a different key to get it to open in the current tab.

Just a couple of tips as an aside to the topic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormchild
Personally, I disliked that drag-out-and-back-in "feature" anyway. Maybe I just changed my mind about dragging something out (in which case you have to "put it back") and now it's replaced what I was looking at. IMO it was unintuitive and inconsistent with all other apps that support drag-and-drop.
The standard Mac way of aborting a drag is to simply drop the drag onto the menu bar. Then, it's just ignored as though you never did the drag. As an added bonus, the menu bar is extremely easy to hit with its full-screen width and infinite top edge. So, to cancel a drag, just slam the pointer up and let go. (Multiple monitors can change the rules a bit, but those using such a setup are accustomed to that.)

Quote:
Either way, I can't be bothered to do all that to open a link (I find it annoying when the tab drawer and/or other programs start reacting to the drag).
When you're dragging into the tab drawer and aiming to drop onto an existing tab, hold down the command key as you enter the drawer. This will keep the tabs from moving around on you. (The same trick works in OS X's Dock, BTW.)

FWIW, to abort a drag you can also drop it in the Trash, or press Escape.

We do want to reimplement the drag out and back in to accept behavior--not sure where it sits on the 5.5 must-have-before-shipping list tho.

Here's one of the things that was recently mentioned on another site:

create a custom style sheet on disk somewhere with:

/* Change cursor for links that open in new window */
:link[target="_blank"],
:visited[target="_blank"],
:link[target="_new"],
:visited[target="_new"] {
cursor: move; }

and in Preference -> Appearance -> Style Sheet, set it to the file you created as above. Then when you hover over a simple link that would try and open a new window the cursor will change from the pointing finger to the four-way arrow.

I also saw somewhere a custom css that used the :before css to add an "icon" before these links.

Was that an OW thing? Some browser or browser input mgr included this css, I forget which. I remember seeing it and wondering where they came from...