The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Person column for Delegate/Agenda Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I know there are other topics on this, so I hope I’m not repeating something that’s already out there:

When I’m processing a Next Action, I may want to delegate it. The most basic thing I need to store in OF about this is the fact that it’s been delegated and the name of the person to whom it’s been delegated, and the date it was delegated.

I know I can create a Waiting For context to do the first part, but there is currently no “assigned to” column, which is sorely missing, in my opinion.

Furthermore, the same applies to Agenda contexts. These are items that I’d like to talk to a person about or bring up in a team meeting – the context is “I am talking to Joe” so I need to have at my finger tips my agenda items for Joe.

Likewise, any “Call” actions that relate to Joe.

When I’m talking to Joe – I want to have all this at my finger tips – things I want to talk to him about, things I’ve delegated to him I need to follow up on, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geofffitch
When I’m processing a Next Action, I may want to delegate it. The most basic thing I need to store in OF about this is the fact that it’s been delegated and the name of the person to whom it’s been delegated, and the date it was delegated.

I know I can create a Waiting For context to do the first part, but there is currently no “assigned to” column, which is sorely missing, in my opinion.
A delegee field would be handy. The promised meta-data facility would work great for this if the meta-data could be displayed and searched on. The delegation date piece would be a bit heavier. Could you use start date for that (and due date for when you need to switch for waiting to following up)?

I currently prefix my actions in the Awaiting context with "From Joe", or whoever. That works OK but isn't ideal.

Quote:
Furthermore, the same applies to Agenda contexts. These are items that I’d like to talk to a person about or bring up in a team meeting – the context is “I am talking to Joe” so I need to have at my finger tips my agenda items for Joe.

Likewise, any “Call” actions that relate to Joe.

When I’m talking to Joe – I want to have all this at my finger tips – things I want to talk to him about, things I’ve delegated to him I need to follow up on, etc.
Can you say more about needing a new column for Agenda or Call contexts?

Currently to do what you're talking about I would use a "Joe" subcontext. I could have a Joe subcontext under both Agenda and Call. Using cmd-click in the context sidebar I can easily filter to just items for Joe.

Hmm, I suppose I could use the same technique to create subcontexts of Awaiting. I'll probably try that for awhile.

Curt

Yea, I can see using sub-contexts. It's just the there are any number of people I may want to have be here and it is cumbersome to add and cluttered to have all these people have their own context. I'll play with it though.

Geoff

Quote:
Yea, I can see using sub-contexts. It's just the there are any number of people I may want to have be here and it is cumbersome to add and cluttered to have all these people have their own context.
That's true. So far I've only made such subcontexts for the people I interact with the most. I put the other agenda/delegated/awaiting actions in the generic super-context.

Curt

Try this: Put "delegated Joe" in the Notes field for the action. When you want to see everything you've delegated, go to Context view and type "delegated" in the Search field in the Toolbar. If you want to limit it to Joe, add "Joe". It's not controlled metadata, but it is metadata.

The notes field doesn't have to be visible for this to work, by the way.

This is a good idea. It would be nice to delegate an action in a project. It would then be nice to have another view where you can see all actions that have been delegated.