The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle General
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Text flow Features Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi,
As far as I'm concerned OmniGraffle is absolutely amazing piece of software for diagramming with shapes and images but lacks some basic text functionality that would really make it solid IMHO.

1) Justified text spacing is egregious. I would love to see something akin to Tex's hyphenation and justification algorithm since it produces such beautiful text flow. In OmniGraffle, the alternation between block os white space and chunks of text kills the aesthetics

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TeX#Hyp..._justification

2) A way to define flow _between_ text boxes where I can type in one and have overflow spill into another, allowing for things like 2-column layouts without the pain of handling the overflow by hand.

I realize OmniGraffle is not addressing the same domain as something like Adobe's InDesign, but so I wouldn't be terribly disappointed if point 2 never happened, but point 1 is crucial for upping the ante on the aesthetic front.

Just to let you know, we do have a bug currently filed against your first point (it may also be a limitation of Cocoa's text API so far as soft hyphenation is concerned), and there is also an existing feature request for text flow between shapes, I would encourage you to send feedback to omnigraffle@omnigroup.com so we can get some more information from you (mostly to do with the feature request) so we can get a better stand on how we'd like to implement the feature.