The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

"Due in the next month" Not? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
So when I click the "Due" on the toolbar, it gives me "Due in the Last 3 Months," "Due Tomorrow," "Due within the next week," and "Due within the Next Month."

Except in the preferences one can only go out one week ahead for items that are "Due Soon."

So if "Due Within the Next Month" can only go out one week, what is the point of having this? Most of my projects have to be kept in long range vision, and one won't suffice to maintain traffic control.

So how do I get items that are due farther out than a week to show up in the next month display? I tried adding a start date but that didn't work.

Last edited by dcw; 2011-05-03 at 09:39 PM..

Make a new perspective that groups and sorts by due, but shows all actions, not just those due soon. You can also edit the built-in due perspective if you prefer.

Bingo. Thank you.

I guess there are no "smart folder" options or tags which could be used to further refine and narrow. So would the best way to do that be flags? For example, there are things that I need to actually DO, versus items that I need to watch to see if someone else does them. Like things I expect to receive in the mailbox and I need to remember to keep an eye on them.

I have a handful of contexts I assign to items that represent waiting for something to happen.

First, I have an Agenda context tree with nested contexts for all the people I frequently deal with. If I'm waiting for my friend David to get back to me about going to a movie on Friday, I'll toss the action in Agenda : David with a due date. If I don't hear from him by the time it turns red, I'll call or email. If I run into him in person, I check the Agenda : David and see if there's anything either of us is waiting on the other to do. If there's some reason to think that the item can't happen before some date, I'll put on a start date that reflects that.

I've got a Waiting For context tree (again, with nested contexts) for various events, like a phone call, a package, something in the mail, etc. I go back and forth on setting these contexts to be on hold. Again, I'll use due dates to signal that something has gone overdue, but start dates aren't very useful if I'm using the on hold context setting. When I go through a stack of mail, I bring up the Waiting For : Mail context and see if anything I'm waiting for has come in, and similarly I can look at the list and see what hasn't turned up on time.

As for tags, there aren't any built-in tag features at the moment, but you can always put a unique tag in the notes field and use the search tool to filter. It's possible to save a perspective that has a search string if you've got a bunch that you want to do often.

Wow.

Saved searches in perspectives is a fantastic feature I'd never even imagined possible. I just tried it out and when the perspective syncs to the iPad it works there too.

I've never come across this in the documentation yet it seems like a really important capability.

With a little thought Almost every gripe I've ever had about the limitations of contexts/perspectives can be fixed with this.

Note: I couldn't create a perspective with a search string, but I could create one without, add the search string and then Save As. Quirky.