The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner 3 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Spotlight won't search my OmniOutliner files... mostly... Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I cannot, for the life of me, figure out why Spotlight won't find text in most of my OmniOutliner files. Oddly enough, it does work with one... my Kinkless GTD .oo3. But my other .oo3's are out of luck.

For instance, I have a very large project outline with this text in it... in fact, multiple occurences of the string "GEN-347" show up throughout the file.
GEN-347 ("Implement AT-101 improvement")
However, any attempt to use spotlight to find "GEN-347" does not locate the .oo3 file. I've tried saving without compression, in case that would do it. The .oo3 is on my iDisk... but then, so is the GTD .oo3.

Help! and Thanks.

Z,
Is it possible that the file(s) you want to use Spotlight on are in a folder/location that is listed in the "Privacy' section of the Spotlight preferences?

Could they be on a Disk Image or USB drive? Not all mounted disks are automatically indexed by Spotlight.

You can test if the location your file(s) are in is searchable by Spotlight by creating a text file in the same folder as your OO3 files with a unique string inside it (anything will do) and searching for it with Spotlight.

To turn on indexing on non-indexed drives you can read these 'Mac OS X Hints' articles:
http://www.macosxhints.com/article.p...50430233117572
http://www.macosxhints.com/article.p...50427140730293

James B