The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniPlan > OmniPlan General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CCPM / Critical Chain Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Has anybody used/ tweaked OmniPlan to implement CCPM / Critical Chain Project Management?

We can do this via applescript or make it a feature request...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsmw View Post
Has anybody used/ tweaked OmniPlan to implement CCPM / Critical Chain Project Management?
A feature request for this has been made in our database. I'll add your votes to it. :-)

Dear Omni-Folks,

every year I have to manage multiple projects in my business. Small and greater ones. Your product is fine - but it would be nice if you think about the following lines.

If you look on the market for project management software, today it suffers:
- that it is dominated by Microsoft Project, which in most cases is too complicated
- project-management software for the Mac-World is rare
- and there is almost nothing new in the software how to consider or even overcome the typical problems of project management in advance.

A couple of years ago I faced the problem of how to improve the KPIs of construction projects (time, cost etc.). During this time I studied Goldratts Theory of Constraints and also the idea of Critical Chain Project Management. The arguments of his concept are clear but not only clear but really helpful.

I don't know why - but until today only a few software developers consider to implement the CCPM-Logic in their products. Also in this thread are only a few responses about this innovative concept - nevertheless it would be a real USP for your company if the user can choose between the already implemented "Critical Path" logic or also the "Critical Chain" logic of CCMP.

What do you think about that - if you need assistance or more information for the concept I will be providing it to you.

I am interested in your answer.

Kind regards
Norbert

Please add my vote as well for a CCPM feature

Quote:
Originally Posted by flow View Post
- project-management software for the Mac-World is rare...
Norbert,
In addition to OmniPlan, the following Project Management programs for the Mac come to mind and I'm sure there are many more:

-Merlin 2.
-iTaskX.
-RationalPlan.
-Araxis Ketura.
-xTime Project.
-FastTrack Schedule.
-Process. -Operation. (These 2 just for fun. Nice shiny interfaces attract many people. Some would even say that such programs are Mac-like :D )
-SharedPlan.
-Project X.
-ConceptDraw Project.
-LeadingProject.
-Copper.
-Intellisys Project Desktop X.
-Phoenix Project Manager. I only heard about this one a couple of days ago. Currently at 50% off, and still one of the most expensive ones on this list.

Some are cheap, some expensive, some have beautiful interfaces, some have more features, some work with various operating systems, etc. There are plenty of choices. I think that the first one I used on the Mac was FastTrack Schedule. More recently Merlin and Merlin 2 and for a current project I'll use Ketura.

I may give OmniPlan another try eventually. I purchased it as soon as it came out but so far it has not been my choice. I have not tried it since 1.5 came out, though. Maybe the newer version is amazing :)

Has critical chain been implemented yet? I know that in my project management class, the professor raves about it.

Hi guys. I find this article useful. It evaluates the 43 project management software that are listed on it.

http://www.timedoctor.com/blog/2011/...e-alternatives

Quote:
Originally Posted by ispeak View Post
Hi guys. I find this article useful. It evaluates the 43 project management software that are listed on it.

http://www.timedoctor.com/blog/2011/...e-alternatives
That's a great list. I have tried basecamp and it was great. It's easy for my team to use the software package. Projects are easy to navigate since they are loaded in a single dashboard.

Right now I use a project management software package called Latitude. It has better features and run faster over basecamp. It has helped me manage my projects and clients much better than any other applications I have used.

I would also like to vote for Critical Chain features. To add single-project critical chain, you will need to add buffer management reports (and please make sure to add the newer buffer protection reports instead of the old buffer penetration reports). Adding multi-project critical chain would be outstanding. I'd love to demo M-P CC PM from my iPad...