The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Repeating, with both start and due dates? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I would like to create a task that repeats every six months, with these criteria. Is there a way that I can do it?--

The Start Date would be six months from the completion date of the last time I finished that task.

And the Due Date for the task would be one week from whatever the new Start Date is.

Thank you.

You should be able to do this by..

- Set a start and due date for the current instance. Due date should be 1 week after start date (this interval will carry into the repeat)

- Set to Repeat every 6 months from completion date

Should the "next start" date be today's date plus the "repeat every x days" number if you have the "Repeat from" set to "Completion date" ?

I am running 1.0.2 and it isn't working that way.

It depends.

If you have a start date but no due date, then the next start date will be as you suggest.

However, if you have a due date, then the repeat step is used to calculate the due date. The start date is kept relative to the due date.

For example, suppose you have a task "Mow the lawn". The task has a start date and a due date. Let's suppose the due date is 3 days after the start date. If you want to start the task 7 days after you complete it, then you need to set the repeat interval to 10 days.

Curt

It would be useful to me to be able to have the start and due dates linked. For a given action, I'd like to be able to choose which of the two depends on the other.

So let's say I set it so that Due is one week after Start, then if I change Start to a day later, then Due would automatically be postponed by a day. For another action, I might decide that Start needs to be 4 days before Due. Then, if I change Due, Start would follow.