The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner 3 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

anything happening with Omni Outliner 4.00 Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
i know we've had a slew of minor updates to OO3, but just looking around the forum today, i notice that people were talking about the imminence of version 4 of my favourite software a long time ago.

is anything at all happening with this. i long for a zoom view, as well as some of the other sensible features that people have requested.

it's now July 2009

any chance of any news anytime soon?

OO4 is now in active development but it's still in the early stages. There's a lot of work needed to update an app that ran on 10.3 for years :)

Early stages? Oh nooooooooooo! That is very heart-breaking.

Woohoo!

I know it's disappointing for some to learn that a shiney new OO4 isn't due out imminently, but having watched MORE 3, InfoDepot, INControl and many other great Mac outliners fade into oblivion, I can say that it's very heartening to know that OO remains in active development.

Sure OO 3.0 came out what, in 2005? So OO 4 feels a little overdue. But there's been a fairly steady stream of point updates from Omni over those years, fixing bugs and adding features. That kind of beats having had zero updates in the last decade!

So I say, hurrah for OO4! (But after a 4-5 year wait, it better have MORE-like cloning! I kid, I kid. No, seriously)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Black View Post
Woohoo!

I know it's disappointing for some to learn that a shiney new OO4 isn't due out imminently, but having watched MORE 3, InfoDepot, INControl and many other great Mac outliners fade into oblivion, I can say that it's very heartening to know that OO remains in active development.

Sure OO 3.0 came out what, in 2005? So OO 4 feels a little overdue. But there's been a fairly steady stream of point updates from Omni over those years, fixing bugs and adding features. That kind of beats having had zero updates in the last decade!

So I say, hurrah for OO4! (But after a 4-5 year wait, it better have MORE-like cloning! I kid, I kid. No, seriously)
While I agree that it is far overdue, and you are correct in pointing out that many outliners have went by the wayside, OO4 better be good or it will flop. I have felt for several years now that 003 is ok for outlining but it has it's limits and could be much easier to format. It has always been clunky for me to work with. I started on 002.