The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner 3 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Omni Outliner - PhotoRec Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hello all,

I had an OmniOutliner file on my mac containing all sorts of important info, and it got deleted. A little while back I decided to try some data recovery to see if I could access it, so I downloaded and installed PhotoRec. Seeing that there was no '.oo3' file option under the section of file types to search for, I emailed the creator of the program, who responded back:

The file Untitled.oo3/contents.xml is a gzip'd xml file,
it's currently recovered as .gz by PhotoRec

So I ran a search for .gz files and found plenty of them. The question I now have is this:

I now have all these .gz files. What would be the best course of action for finding out what's inside each one, and which one is the one that has the info I need? Should I simply try opening each .gz with OmniOutliner? Or each .xml inside the .gz file? Or some other xml program?
Is there some way to distinguish an .oo3 file recovered as a .gz from other .gzs? File tags?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks!
Anthony

If you have the recovered files in the same directory, you can run this from Terminal.app

Code:
zgrep -l OUTLINE *.gz
And then this will list out any file that match. This should greatly narrow down the list of files to check by hand. Renaming the file from .gz to .oo3 should then allow you to open it in OmniOutliner. The one case where this won't work however is if you had attachments embedded in the file. In those cases, you'll need to rename the file to "contents.xml" and put it inside a .oo3 wrapper. Creating a folder, sticking the file inside, and renaming the folder to "foo.oo3" should work.

Thanks for the awesome advice. Since my internet connection is spotty, I'm taking this opportunity to thank you while I have it - I'll post my results later.