The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Future start dates vs. blocked actions Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I know there's already a lot of granularity in the view options, but I would like to add a new option to the availability filter that would separate actions that are blocked from those that have a future start date.

In my daily review, I like to be able to see actions that are blocked so that I can flag them for today. The blocked actions aren't technically available at the moment, but they reasonably could be later today. However, I don't want my review cluttered up by tons of actions with future start dates, because those aren't at all possible today.

The way I deal with this now is to show available actions but I click on the sequential icon in the project title bar to switch it to parallel so I can see all the blocked actions and then switch it back. This works fine on the desktop, but it's certainly inelegant, and it's much harder on the iPad where it takes several taps to switch the project type.

I'm sure some people will think this would add too much complexity, but I really think it makes sense and would help people visualize their current tasks.

It seems nobody else has a problem with this, but I came up with a slightly better workaround for this problem. Starting from one of RobTrew's scripts on this thread, I made a modification that switches a project immediately from sequential, to parallel and then back to sequential. This leaves all the tasks visible so that I can review them.

If you're interested, you can read more about my reasoning here. There is also a link to the AppleScript file and another version on github. I hope people find it useful, because it's helping me a lot.