The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > Applying OmniFocus
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Strategies for Assigning Due Dates Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
I like to assign due dates for all actions. This ensures that they will eventually show up as Due Today, Due in the Next Week, Overdue, and so I'll (in theory) do them.

There are two kinds of due dates: "hard" due dates (taxes must be filed by April 15, need to clean house before Mom visits on Tuesday, etc.), and "soft" due dates (I'd like to reorganize the closet this weekend).

I find that I often reschedule tasks with soft due dates as they come up. So those actions rarely get completed "on time". I'm effectively just reviewing them often. And those soft due dates clutter up the Due Today view.

I wonder if I should really be using "soft" due dates. It might be better to reserve the Due field for hard deadlines, so that I'll take them more seriously. Is there a better way to handle the problem of making sure that stuff eventually gets done, even when there is no hard deadline?