The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

$40? Seriously? [OmniFocus for iPad Pricing Feedback] Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by endoftheQ View Post
Oh... for the love of G... !

Let me nail my colours to the mast. I believe that for followers of David Allen's Getting Things Done® (GTD®) philosophy there is no better program suite than Omni Group's OmniFocus. OK?

I used OmniFocus for iPhone as the example in the previous attachments. I've now done the same thing in this post using OF for iPad.

So RiK, pretend you didn't know about OmniFocus and were relying on the information provided by the developers, which one is the GTD App?
enoftheQ, I'll agree that the UK pitch is not as clear as the US one.

Re: which is the one that looks like the true GTD one at a glance: MyLists looks like it can be used for the traditional "flat lists" GTD (list of projects separated from list of actions), but I see nothing regarding contexts *fail*
ToDo Pro - GTD: not only no contexts, but sorting is by priority and due dates–obviously "anti-GTD". *fail*
Firetask: "classical approach based on priorities and due dates with DA's GTD"–I think the whole point of GTD revolves around not mixing those things *fail*
PocketInformant: only viable one in terms of GTD as far as I'm concerned.

Now of course the fact that there is a DACo White paper on OF might hint as to which solution might be more viable GTD-wise, but part of the beauty of GTD is that it's tool-agnostic...

RiK: I agree with you. Nobody should read through that text and expect the app to not require some careful thought to fully utilize.

Also, IMHO, OF is actually a fine app for just keeping lists and syncing them everywhere. Only caveat for that is that it takes too many keystrokes. CarbonFin Outliner lets you type an item, press return, type another. Because OF expects you to likely want to enter more metadata, it has a dialog for this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypotyposis View Post
enoftheQ, I'll agree that the UK pitch is not as clear as the US one.

Re: which is the one that looks like the true GTD one at a glance: MyLists looks like it can be used for the traditional "flat lists" GTD (list of projects separated from list of actions), but I see nothing regarding contexts *fail*
ToDo Pro - GTD: not only no contexts, but sorting is by priority and due dates–obviously "anti-GTD". *fail*
Firetask: "classical approach based on priorities and due dates with DA's GTD"–I think the whole point of GTD revolves around not mixing those things *fail*
PocketInformant: only viable one in terms of GTD as far as I'm concerned.

Now of course the fact that there is a DACo White paper on OF might hint as to which solution might be more viable GTD-wise, but part of the beauty of GTD is that it's tool-agnostic...
hypotyposis, you might be surprised that I agree (as far as my limited GTD intellect allows!) with everything you say.

I guess my point is, put yourself in a newbie's shoes, you've only read DA's book (which I recall didn't mention computers at all, but was solely paper-based) and then went shopping on the App store, which App would you buy, the one which mentions GTD or the one that doesn't?

OK, now you're newbie in the market for a to-do list App. You see OmniFocus (for iPhone) on the UK App Store and read: 'Bring up a shopping list, agenda items to discuss at work, things to do at home, and any other lists you need.' Sounds good huh?

Put your hand-on-your-heart, hypotyposis, would you honestly recommend OmniFocus as a great shopping list App? I wouldn't.

Quote:
Put your hand-on-your-heart, hypotyposis, would you honestly recommend OmniFocus as a great shopping list App? I wouldn't.
If I can butt in here, I would say it is a fine shopping list App if you already own it. I wouldn't recommend its purchase solely as a shopping list app, as it is clearly overkill for that purpose (and dedicated shopping apps may well have some handy features for that purpose that it does not). It was the first iPhone app I purchased, and with it in hand, I have never felt the need to investigate what other options might be available if I would plunk down more money for a dedicated shopping list app. Also, I don't see the benefit in having interdependent tasks in multiple apps when the one I've got will do it all in a satisfactory manner. As always, YMMV.

Quote:
As an app to only do that and nothing else? No.

I don't think the marketing text suggests you will buy OF and use it only for that feature. The text makes it clear that is one feature among many, which is accurate and reasonable IMHO.

Quote:
Let me nail my colours to the mast. I believe that for followers of David Allen's Getting Things Done® (GTD®) philosophy there is no better program suite than Omni Group's OmniFocus. OK?

I used OmniFocus for iPhone as the example in the previous attachments. I've now done the same thing in this post using OF for iPad.

So RiK, pretend you didn't know about OmniFocus and were relying on the information provided by the developers, which one is the GTD App?
Eh? I'm not sure I get your point *at all*.

All my posts here have been in in support of OF, I personally believe it's worth the asking price many times over.

My point here was to illustrate that the description clearly indicates that OF is a complex task management application and I can't see how a casual user could 'accidentally' purchase it without understanding what it was for. Surely anyone purchasing one of the higher priced apps on the store would do a little research first to see if it's what they want? There's a link directly to the Omni website right there on the store so I can't see any excuse for not doing your homework before purchasing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiK View Post
My point here was to illustrate that the description clearly indicates that OF is a complex task management application and I can't see how a casual user could 'accidentally' purchase it without understanding what it was for.
So RiK, Omni's opening paragraph on the App Store that states: 'Bring up a shopping list, agenda items to discuss at work, things to do at home, and any other lists you need.' helps a newbie to conclude that this is, and I quote your words, 'a complex task management application'?

If I look at rival Apps features, from a non-GTD point of view, I'd think they were also feature-rich and complex.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiK View Post
There's a link directly to the Omni website right there on the store so I can't see any excuse for not doing your homework before purchasing.
Absolutely! Caveat Emptor!! Although I'm not sure how that helps... :confused:

Quote:
So RiK, Omni's opening paragraph on the App Store that states: 'Bring up a shopping list, agenda items to discuss at work, things to do at home, and any other lists you need.' helps a newbie to conclude that this is, and I quote your words, 'a complex task management application'?
Well I have no idea what you're looking at, but the wording I'm reading, as shown in the screen grab previously reads:
"OmniFocus for iPad combines an in-depth task management functionality of a desktop app with the advanced mobile experience of the iPad. With flexible viewing options, location-aware task lists, and on-the-fly task entry with voice notes and image attachments, OmniFocus for iPad is the trusted system you need for managing everything in your busy life.

Use OmniFocus for iPad on its own, or sync with omniFocus for Mac and OmniFocus for iPhone. New to OmniFocus for iPad are task forecasting views, a streamlined built-in review mode, and a simplified Map feature for creating and viewing tasks based on current or assigned locations."
etc.

It's all there in the screenshot I posted from the App Store dude so I'm finding it hard to see why you seem to be taking it out on me personally..

Last edited by RiK; 2010-09-09 at 05:04 PM.. Reason: Added link to referenced earlier post.

Quote:
That is the opening paragraph of the description of the iPhone application. This is the iPad forum and we're discussing the value of the iPad app so I can't see how using the marketing text for a different platform has any bearing on the current discussion as the marketing text for the iPad version does clearly pitch it as an 'in-depth task management' application, which is precisely what it is.

Sorry RiK, rude of me, sincere apologies. :o

I think we were discussing different versions (my fault). In an earlier post, I mentioned that I was also talking about OF for iPhone in this thread. It's that page on the App Store that has the 'Bring up a shopping list, agenda items to discuss at work, things to do at home, and any other lists you need.' line (see attached screenshot), again sorry for causing any confusion.

Quote:
Apologies hypotyposis, my previous posts relate to either OmniFocus on the iPhone or on the iPad (or both!). I accept it would be more relevant and specific if I'd opened a separate thread on the OF iPhone Board but having already received threats from Members of this Board to hack-and-erase my hard-drive and being unable to afford further armed security, I've refrained from pushing my luck!
I got interested in this when someone asked me the price of OF iPhone so I went on to iTunes to look. I was surprised to see that OF iPhone only had 3.5 stars (for the current version) and two 1 star reviews in the last few days.

I questioned a colleague (whose a fundi-GTD'er) about it and his response was along the lines of "it's their marketing blurb, it's misleading" at which point, for the first time ever, I read it. I then went over to OF iPad to look at that too. I was genuinely surprised that neither make any mention of GTD.

This, for me, explained much, including such instances as SmallTownBoy's anger at feeling 'ripped off' (see this link) re: OF.

I completely accept that anyone making a purchase outside their price comfort zone should do their research, although I have to admit I don't, even when I've bought an App costing in excess of $100, I just check the App Store reviews! Naive, I know! :)

Last edited by endoftheQ; 2010-09-10 at 03:47 AM..