The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle General
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

UML in Omnigraffle Pro Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi,

Can anyone point me in the direction of resources about using Omnigraffle Pro for UML diagrams? I can't find any documentation or examples anywhere. I have heard that it can create diagrams from classes passed to it but can find no reference to this in the docs.

Thanks.

This is something I've been struggling with as well.

I think the best you're going to be able to do is scroll through graffeltopia.com for some free templates. Then you'll have to buy a book or two like I did to figure out how to put everything together.

It's not a perfect answer but it's the best I've got right now.

Christopher

I just tried to use OG for an UML chart. Unfortunately it seems quite inadequate for relationship bindings, since OG only have one magnetic point per side (one per row (ie attribute) would be more logical).

It's ok, but not perfect.

Is there some reason you cannot just add more magnets where needed with the magnet tool?

Yeah. And there are many UML stencils, not just one; some better than others; all less than adequate as far as I'm concerned. So, expect to fiddle around an choose a template you like, and add stuff o it to upgrade the quality to what you need.

(I've written a few stencils, but I have no plans to write a UML stencil; it is not my preferred communication or documentation method).

The book or two idea is good but that's exactly where I see people struggling. The idea is, the geek doing the design should document it, and they an use any number of methods to do so, UML being one of them. It does not work to get someone else to do the docs, and then impose whatever method on them (they have to buy a book or two, etc), and the resulting diagram is sterile; devoid of context; the result of someone who has read a book or two. It is unfair to them. My work is never complete until the paperwork is done; and I would not dream of getting someone else to do the paperwork, not only because they can never reach the depth of what I had in mind, but because I am proud of my paperwork.

Last edited by DerekAsirvadem; 2010-05-20 at 07:12 AM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
Is there some reason you cannot just add more magnets where needed with the magnet tool?
Yeah; tediousness....

Besides, the magnets move around (proportionally because OG is not made to create UML) when I resize an object.

:P

Last edited by carlsson; 2010-05-20 at 07:40 AM..

Yes. And ...

Well I would have a few things to say, can you please post a good example that we can discuss.

For the magnets moving proportionately problem. Half the problem is still the stencil; the other half is the UML diagram symbols, and the fact that you can resize them (some diagramming techniques disallow changing the size of the symbol, to fit the contents in the symbol). It may be worth your while to extend the diagramming methodology to (a) fix the symbol sizes and then (b) allow text content to overflow the symbol, in a nice way.

For the stencil. There are things one can do when building the stencil, to improve utility for the specific task (here UML with the symbols known to be changing size). That's why I stated all stencils are not the same. If you post a real example, I can give you more explicit help.

Data Models definitely should not be drawn in UML, that's simply incorrect, there are much better methods that are more suited and standardised (before UML was born). The Relation line going to specific attributes is (a) big mistake [in the modelling technique] (b) very limiting for the person drawing and maintaining (c) very limiting to the understanding and utility of Databases. Simply removing that requirement eliminates the need for getting the magnet in the "right" place.

Last but not least, OG is a drawing tool, not a modelling tool. A brilliant one, the stencils being probably most important to this thread, but still a drawing tool.

Last edited by DerekAsirvadem; 2010-05-20 at 04:21 PM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlsson View Post
I just tried to use OG for an UML chart. Unfortunately it seems quite inadequate for relationship bindings, since OG only have one magnetic point per side (one per row (ie attribute) would be more logical).
Have you tried making a table with each attribute as its own shape in the table (so each attribute automatically gets its own magnets)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlsson View Post

It's ok, but not perfect.
For what it's worth, we've just amended this in the OmniGraffle 5.2.3 beta releases, UML tables in the UML - General stencil are now set to connect to their components and not to the overall table itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Case View Post
Have you tried making a table with each attribute as its own shape in the table (so each attribute automatically gets its own magnets)?
That's exactly what I did for the Data Model stencil (but for that the magnets purposely stay outside the table, on the main shape).