The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniPlan > OmniPlan General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

My project dates are changed when I sync between Desktop and iPad Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hello,

I am really struggling to work the sync facility. I'm using the OmniSync Server, but whenever I publish / update a plan between Desktop and iPad, the dates change. Also, it doesn't seem to handle different versions (e.g. different file names) very well. I'd expect them to exist as different 'files' on the server, but instead they seem to overwrite each other (so my version 6 appears as 5.2 - unhelpful!).

Any guidance anyone can give me would be helpful. Do I have a setting wrong?

With thanks,

Dan

How are you getting different filenames? Are you duplicating files to make different versions of the plan? At one point, the internal ID wasn't changed when you made a dup of a document on the iPad, and as you can imagine, confusion would soon follow. I saw notice of a fix for that recently, but it might only have been in the beta test images. I think the Mac app would have the same problem, except without any visibility (the iPad app obviously knows when you duplicate a file) it would be more difficult to remedy the duplicate ID.

As for dates changing, a couple of things come to mind. Are you sharing resources between projects? If you are publishing loads and auto-leveling, making a change to one plan and publishing that change should affect the dates in other plans using the resource whose availability was affected. I'm inclined at the moment to suspect that your duplicate file issues might be playing a role here, unless you can build a simple test case to demonstrate it without duplicating any files. You might do well to call up Omni and work through this over the phone in a more immediately interactive fashion: 1-800-315-6664 or +1-206-523-4152.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mugenzi View Post
Hello,

I am really struggling to work the sync facility. I'm using the OmniSync Server, but whenever I publish / update a plan between Desktop and iPad, the dates change. Also, it doesn't seem to handle different versions (e.g. different file names) very well. I'd expect them to exist as different 'files' on the server, but instead they seem to overwrite each other (so my version 6 appears as 5.2 - unhelpful!).

Any guidance anyone can give me would be helpful. Do I have a setting wrong?

With thanks,

Dan
It sounds like you might be running into the issue that whpalmer4 mentioned involving duplicate project IDs. A little bit of background on this, each OmniPlan file that you create on the Mac and iPad is assigned a unique ID which we use for syncing. The problem that would arise with some users is that they'd duplicate their project file in Finder to use as different versions or project template. Since the file was duplicated with the same unique ID, publishing and updating different files with the same unique ID would overwrite each other on the server.

To avoid this on the Mac you should go to "File" > "Save As" if you want to save a different version of your project. This will assign the newly saved file a unique ID so that when you publish it to the Sync Server it will be it's own project and you won't have to worry about it overwriting the project that it was duplicated from. in OmniPlan-iPad 1.2, we set it up so that duplicating a project would automatically assign it a new unique ID.

As for the dates changing when you publish/update, that might have been due to this issue of duplicate IDs. If you're still seeing issues though, please call us at 1-800-315-6664 or email us at omniplan@omnigroup.com.