The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Changing context moved the item too soon. Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I often work using the Due or Flagged perspective. Sometimes I want to change a context and the date due of a task.

For example: I'll change an item from:

Order products from ABC Company.
Context = computer
Due = February 1

After I've order the products, I want to change the item to the following:

Receive products from ABC Company
Context = Waiting (or Home or whatever)
Due = = February 10

The problem is that as soon as I change the context, I lose the item from view. If my "computer" context is higher on the list than "waiting" then I have to scroll down to the waiting context to finish changing my item. At this point I have NOT changed the due date from Feb 1 to Feb 10 and I want to do that without having to scroll.

To clarify - I DO want the item to move down to the context that I've changed it to -- I just don't want it to happen until I've tabbed to the date field and change that.

Any ideas?
Thanks,
Leila

Leila,

I share your frustration with this one. (Use Help → Send Feedback to add your voice toward getting this changed.) I'd much rather have the item not reorder until I've finished editing it.

My workaround is to double click the dot next to the item before editing it. This opens a new window showing the action in project mode. This lets me edit the item without having it jump around.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Curt

Curt

Just to clarify, we're talking only about the case of editing the outline view directly, not with the inspector, right? Doing it via the inspector still may have the item disappear from sight, but in my experience the inspector stays pointed to the right place. I've gotten in the habit of editing this way because often I'll be in a view that doesn't show some of the columns I might want to change, and bringing up the inspector is much faster than adding the column to the window.

It does seem like having the action stay put until the edit of the row is closed would be an improvement...though I'm sure we'll see some posts wondering why the action didn't move after the context was changed just as soon as that change hits the streets :-)

Personally, I don't encounter this issue much because I tend to create a second action for the follow-up activity. That way there's no need to edit the first action (just mark it completed) and the rest of this discussion becomes irrelevant.

Still, having a delay in the re-grouping and re-sorting would be nice in cases where you make an edit and don't want the second, follow-up action.

-Dennis

Last edited by Toadling; 2010-02-07 at 05:59 AM..

In my case, I was speaking of the general behavior when editing the context of an action without regard to the bigger picture of why one might be needing to do so. Like you, I prefer not to "recycle" actions, but do find myself editing the context on occasion whether due to getting the wrong context due to the default context on a project or reorganization or whatever.

Not moving the row until the user presses Enter or clicks in another row seems in keeping with other edit behavior, no?

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
Not moving the row until the user presses Enter or clicks in another row seems in keeping with other edit behavior, no?
Absolutely, that seems like it would make the most sense. We should all send feedback.

-Dennis

Quote:
Originally Posted by curt.clifton View Post

My workaround is to double click the dot next to the item before editing it. This opens a new window showing the action in project mode. This lets me edit the item without having it jump around.

Hope that helps.

Curt

This does help. I didn't realize that I could quickly go to a focused mode like that and then easily close that window and go back to my other perspective.

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
Doing it via the inspector ...in my experience the inspector stays pointed to the right place. I've gotten in the habit of editing this way because often I'll be in a view that doesn't show some of the columns I might want to change, and bringing up the inspector is much faster than adding the column to the window.
That's an idea I've not considered. Thanks for bringing up the possibility. Presently I have my 4 perspectives all set up to show the
- task
- project and/or context
- start date
- due date
- time
- flag

I always delete my tasks when I'm done with them. Occasionally I change one. (the topic of this thread)

If I'm in my DUE perspective, for example, I really like being able to see the whole grid, adjust dates if need be (if priorities have changed, which they often do), and make adjustments by tabbing through the grid. Tabbing through the grid is great.

I do have my inspector showing - but I rarely use it now because my fields show on my grid. I'm going to think about your suggestion, though. Thanks.

How do you get "control" to go to the inspector? In other words, if your cursor is in the grid, do you use your mouse to go to the inspector - or do you do something on the keyboard?

Thanks,
Leila

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadling View Post
Absolutely, that seems like it would make the most sense. We should all send feedback.

-Dennis
I will do that, too.

Thanks so much!
Leila

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leila View Post
How do you get "control" to go to the inspector? In other words, if your cursor is in the grid, do you use your mouse to go to the inspector - or do you do something on the keyboard?
I'm on a laptop most of the time, so using the "mouse" isn't much of an imposition. There's no way I know of to switch focus to the inspector via the keyboard at the moment. I wonder if it would be possible to arrange an option for summoning the inspector by keyboard shortcut to automatically transfer focus to the inspector?