The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Projects with only one step to complete Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hello,

The iPad app is really great. To use it correctly, I read the manual.

The OF manual for iPad, page 9, says : "A single action list is a special kind of project that usually consists of projects with only one step to complete".

What is a project with only one step to complete (or do I misunderstand the manual because of my bad english, sorry) ? In GTD, a project has more than one action...

Thank you.

Last edited by odeon41; 2010-11-24 at 05:11 AM..

You might have things you need to do that aren't really part of an existing project. A single action list can be used as a convenient container for such tasks. No assumption is made that there is any connection between the tasks in a single action list, and they are all shown as potential next actions, unlike in a parallel project where only the top item on the list is shown as a potential next action.

Some people also like to use single action lists instead of regular projects for areas of their life which do not have a defined end. For example, a project to paint my house has a definite goal and completion—the house is painted. However, I might want to track the tasks involved in caring for my pets, such as feeding them, trips to the veterinarian, etc. There is no definite goal or completion there (except when the pet dies, perhaps), so it makes more sense (to me, at least) to use a single action list as a container of related tasks.

It is possible to put multiple-step items in a single action list, too. You just make a nested action like you would in a regular project.

You can easily change a project from parallel to sequential to a single action list, so experiment and find what works best for you. You won't damage anything.

Your explanation is very precise and clear. It helps me a lot. Thank you very much !

Bill, how do you do a day job and help out here? I barely have time to do the first ;-)

I use OmniFocus :-)