The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner 3 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

How to export Outline to Apple Pages Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Does anybody know, how to transfer an OmniOutliner(Pro) document to Apple Pages and convert the Outline to paragraph styles?

Currently, what I have to do is:
- export to Word (HTML)
- save as Word document
- Open in Pages
- Save as Pages document

I'd like to skip the Word part, as I'd like to completely get around without MS Office.

Omni Outliner is alway the starting point for sketching the contents and setting up the structure of documents.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Hans

Can pages do anything useful with the Rich Text Format export? I haven't used it myself, or I'd check. RTF is a pretty standard platform-independent text format.

No, Neither Pages, nor MS Word can do anything with the RTF-Format. They style the text correctly, but do not set style sheets.

Apple Pages '09 support outline writing mode!
But... I couldn't convert an OO document to Pages, or a Pages outline document to OO with styles.

Brian, please check new Pages '09 immediatery.
I would like to use OO cotinuously for thinking and planning.

I have the same problem. I'm actually "outlining" in Mindjet's Mind Manager, then using OmniOutliner as an intermediary step to try to get the info into Pages. I'd love to find a way to maintain the real structure instead ending up with a fake tabbed outline.

I believe then that you'll have to persuade Apple to open up the proprietary .pages format, or to do something to make its RTF reader more than minimally capable. The RTF reader is very limited, not handling footnotes, comments, images or the like in imported RTF documents.

xiamenese, I think that's inaccurate. Pages can read standard MS Word docs with outlines and maintain the outline structure in its Outline view. If it works for one it should work for the other. At the moment I'm trying to get ReadTree.app to work on my system (so far it doesn't seem to recognize Word). If it does eventually work, it should solve this problem.

Sorry, Joshfree ... the .doc and .docx importer works but the RTF importer is a different beast and doesn't work. If you export an RTF file containing footnotes, images etc. from another app, they won't appear in Pages, TextEdit, Bean -- the images will if you use RTFD at least in Bean and TextEdit -- or anything that relies on the Apple RTF importer without having hacked it. Scrivener and Nisus Writer (Pro) both use hacked versions of the Apple RTF importer and exporter. You can create an RTF file with footnotes in Scrivener, open it in NWP, export it to binary .doc and the footnotes will be there in Word, and therefore, I presume, in Pages.
Furthermore, the Apple RTF format doesn't recognise semantic styles, so those don't carry over into Word or Pages, either.

Edit: Oh, .doc is binary ... it is legit to create an RTF file -- they're plain text -- with the extension .doc and a changed creator-code, and they will open in Word as normal, but I don't know about Pages. OpenOffice.org and Neo-Office both read RTFs with footnotes, etc. and can save them out as binary .docs.
This doesn't help with opening an OmniOutline in Pages ... merely that unless Apple do something about their RTF file format, that's a no-go.

Last edited by xiamenese; 2010-01-24 at 03:39 PM.. Reason: Further note added

OO Pro now has the docx exporter which can be imported into Pages and viewable in the outline mode. That is the best option for moving between OO and Pages currently.

Attached is my AppleScript for exporting from OmniOutliner to Pages.

It is quite specific in that it expects that there exists a Pages template called "Requirements Document", which contains styles "Information" and "Requirement".

Anyway, I think this should give you a general idea and a point to start with.

Just post again if you need help.

P.S. I could not upload the script without compressing it?
Attached Files
File Type: zip TransferOO2Pages.zip (4.6 KB, 785 views)