The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb Bug Reports
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

loading multiple tabs simultaneously Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I tried searching for this, but didn't really see anything similar.

I normally keep anywhere from 10-20 tabs open if I'm working on a project or doing some research. For whatever reason I'll quit OW and reopen, but OW can never load ever tab successfully. I'll see a few that may load right away, some that may load after 30 seconds, some that may load but the CSS styling doesn't, and most will return a 'Cannot Load Address. Can’t find host'

At first I thought this was an issue with my modem or internet connection, however I've tested this in Safari and Firefox on the Mac, as well as Firefox, Safari, and Chrome on Windows and they all load every tab just fine. Am I the only one seeing this?

Normally this should work just fine, try this.

1.) Launch OmniWeb, open bookmarks.
2.) Control click on a folder of bookmarks and select open in a new window.

This will open up a new window filled with tabs for each bookmark. Do you see the same problem?

Yeah, that duplicates the problem. In this case it was 20 pages and about half loaded fine. The rest loaded the 'Cannot Load Address. Can’t find host' page

The ones the error out, do they sit and try to load for a while? or do they immediately come up with the error page?

What are you using for an internet connection? It sounds like your name->address lookups are failing when there are enough of them in a batch. If you use the Reload All Tabs entry in the "gear" menu at the top of the tab drawer, do they all load successfully? For that matter, if you've opened that batch of tabs in Safari and then try using OW, do they all load successfully?

Quote:
The ones the error out, do they sit and try to load for a while? or do they immediately come up with the error page?
Naw they sit for 30 seconds + before erroring

Quote:
What are you using for an internet connection? It sounds like your name->address lookups are failing when there are enough of them in a batch. If you use the Reload All Tabs entry in the "gear" menu at the top of the tab drawer, do they all load successfully?
Qwest DSL. 7megabit. Reloading all tabs produces the same problem.

Quote:
For that matter, if you've opened that batch of tabs in Safari and then try using OW, do they all load successfully?
Loaded the same 20 as above in Safari then in OW again. All 20 loaded up fine in OW.

That definitely sounds like some of your lookup requests are getting dropped on the floor. The difference is probably in how OW schedules the loading of the pages. I have a suspicion that perhaps Qwest isn't doing all it could as well; with a comparable DSL connection from AT&T, I regularly load several hundred tabs at once in OW 5.9.2 without any such problem (how OW responds with several hundred tabs on my Macbook is a different issue :-)

Your post got me thinking. I put my old old modem into Transparent Bridge mode and set the Airport Extreme to PPOE, basically making the modem a dumb box. Wouldn't you know it, every tab loads quite fast now.

Which begs the question....is OW less tolerable of such less-than-ideal situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadCN View Post
Your post got me thinking. I put my old old modem into Transparent Bridge mode and set the Airport Extreme to PPOE, basically making the modem a dumb box. Wouldn't you know it, every tab loads quite fast now.

Which begs the question....is OW less tolerable of such less-than-ideal situations?
I'd put it the other way around -- something in your previous setup seems to have been less tolerant of a rapid stream of DNS lookups, such as OW apparently produces (just a theory, but a theory that seems to fit the observations).

Is there any reason not to keep your network setup as it is now?