The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Due dates? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi

New to OmniFocus and struggling with the "logic" being used in the default "Due" view.

Today is 2nd July...

Under "Due within the last month" I have a number of repeating tasks not due until 6th July and some tasks with no due date at all??

"Due within the last week" : all makes sense

"Due yesterday" : OK apart from one task due 8th July??

"Due today/tomorrow/within the next week" : all OK except the 6th July and 8th July tasks should be here shouldn't they?

I've cleaned up, restarted... Any suggestions for those items that seem to be misfiled according to their due dates?

Or am I missing something :-)

Cheers

John

And while I'm asking...

Shouldn't tasks in my Inbox with a relevant due date also be included in this view??

John

Any chance you have also set a due date on the containing project? That will override any due date on the actions (including no due date) when figuring out which group to use to display an action in the due view. If you've got an action marked due July 6, but the project is marked due July 1, that action will turn up in the Due Yesterday group on July 2.

As for items in the Inbox not appearing, they only show up in Project mode views where the Inbox has been selected in the sidebar. It has behaved this way for as long as I can remember, and my primary suggestion would be to immediately file any Inbox material that has a due date. If you turn on the Show Due Soon indicators (Data pane of the preferences) you will get a red number appearing next to the Inbox in the sidebar to show that there are overdue items, or an orange number if there are no overdue items but some items due within the "due soon" interval (set in the same place). If there aren't any items in those two categories, you'll get a gray number which is a count of the items in the Inbox.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
Any chance you have also set a due date on the containing project?
Yes, I have! A hangover from assuming that a repeating project would automatically repeat all it's tasks. That actually sorts all my due date issues.

Obvious once you see it.

Quote:
As for items in the Inbox not appearing, they only show up in Project mode views where the Inbox has been selected in the sidebar. It has behaved this way for as long as I can remember
Seems like a bug to me. If it's got a due date it should appear in the "due" view regardless...? So I have to process my Inbox every time I want to look at what's due...

Quote:
If you turn on the Show Due Soon indicators (Data pane of the preferences) you will get a red number appearing next to the Inbox in the sidebar to show that there are overdue items, or an orange number if there are no overdue items but some items due within the "due soon" interval (set in the same place). If there aren't any items in those two categories, you'll get a gray number which is a count of the items in the Inbox.
In Project view I see the red and orange numbers but never any gray numbers...

Also can't find anywhere to see total number of Projects/Todos (like is listed on the iPhone app).

Thanks for your help - main date issue resolved!

John

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Milton View Post
Seems like a bug to me. If it's got a due date it should appear in the "due" view regardless...? So I have to process my Inbox every time I want to look at what's due...
Use Help->Send Feedback to communicate your views to the developers. I agree this can be inconvenient behavior if you tend to put a due date on everything under the sun, and let stuff sit in your Inbox for a long time.
Quote:
In Project view I see the red and orange numbers but never any gray numbers...
The gray number only is for the Inbox, and it only appears if you don't have any "due soon" or overdue items in the Inbox.
Quote:
Also can't find anywhere to see total number of Projects/Todos (like is listed on the iPhone app).
Yes, that feature isn't built-in to the desktop app, yet. However, Toadling (aka Dennis) has written a nice Applescript that gives you even more statistics than you get with the iPhone app. I've attached some sample output.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 12.png
Views:	451
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	977  

Have left feedback on the Inbox issue.

Only have a couple of items in my Inbox, so I guess I just need to assign to projects as I add (which I do already for the most part) and then the problem goes away.

Gray numbers only on Inbox. Got it. Leads to another question - why?! I'd like to see this for all projects really - more feedback.

Thanks for the pointer to the script.

Cheers

John

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Milton View Post
Gray numbers only on Inbox. Got it. Leads to another question - why?! I'd like to see this for all projects really - more feedback.
Inbox items have the gray badge count to indicate that items have been captured there, but still need additional processing to assign context and/or project data. The idea of the gray/orange/red badge counts is to give you a visual cue of where the tasks are that need your more immediate attention. Having a gray badge count of all the tasks in all the projects would provide you info on how many tasks you have total, but no feedback on which ones that need focusing on now.