The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

How does one change the Creator variable on an existing Graffle file? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
How does one change the Creator variable on an existing Graffle file?

Scenario:
Download a Graffle template
Use Template to build out a professional Wireframe for client
Template includes <%creator> variable in footer of original template creator

Since, the document contents are "mine" I would need to change the creator attribute to my name.

Per Graffle help:
"Creator — the name of the user who created the file, according to Mac OS X's file system."

Navigating Finder >File Info on the Graffle file, NO creator field is listed. Can't seem to find the creator attribute in Lepoard. A colleague suggested that "Creator" was a Mac OS 9 holder over and no longer used in Lepoard?

Tried using a "Page Info" program FileInfo v. 1.3

BUT it errors when it tried to open the Graffle file - not to surprised.

This can't be this hard can it? Switched from a PC/Visio - either File Properties from Visio would of easily gotten this done.

Thoughts? Help. I feel like I am in first grade with these tools.

Using Macbook Air OS X 10.5.2
Graffle Pro 4.2.2

You should be able to change it in the Document Settings Inspector.

Hey Joel, thanx for the insight. I've been using Graffle for years, but could never figure this out!

I'm using OmniGraffle Pro 5.0.2 and have the same issue. I have completely revamped an existing template and want to put myself in as the "creator" - but I'm not seeing anything in the Document Settings Inspector for creator. What am I missing?

From the online help:

Creator — the name of the user who created the file, according to Mac OS X's file system.

What I figured out.

Right click on your file, and hit show package contents and you can go in and edit the data.plist

I am using OmniGraphle 5.2.3. Just downloaded the UX template from Konigi. The template creator name (Michael Angeles) is listed on the title page and in the page footer.

Despite adding myself as an "Author" in the Document: Data inspector, I am unable to modify the Creator field.

Tried the suggested solution from Brobo but don't see a "show package contents" option when I right click on the template file in Finder.

Thanks for any guidance!

If the file is saved as a flat file rather than a package, it won't have contents and a data.plist. (The file options are in the Document:Document inspector.) In that case, one would have to edit the .graffle file in a text editor to get to the value for Creator.

The issue of the realtive immutability of Creator is a broad one. The string value is apparently the full name for the account under which the file is created. That's usually associated with the name of the actual individual creating the file, but, as noted, it's not always identical to it, either in content or format. There are situations in which they may differ.

If you're interested only in text in the document, the Modifier variable may often do the trick, especially if you embed it in "Created by <%Modifier%>", but not always.

It's a blt misleading for the help to say, "the name of the user who created the file, according to Mac OS X's file system;" from the user's point of view, it's the account that holds the name, not the file system.

Last edited by john.gersh; 2011-07-25 at 05:44 AM..