The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Ability to tag contexts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I just discovered a new app called iGTD, which happens to have the ability to tag contexts, as shown in these screenshots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vocaro
I just discovered a new app called iGTD, which happens to have the ability to tag contexts, as shown in these screenshots.

Interesting app. Looks like it covers most of the bases. I particularly like the toolbar icon. The ability to drag url's is interesting too.

-gb

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbrandt@thetcsgroup.com
What's interesting about this scenario is that in an app that allows multiple contexts per task, one can simply stop entering more than one context and use the software as Bob would, leaving the rest of us multiple contexters fat and happy.

On the other hand, if OF stopped at one context, EVERYONE would be FORCED to use the program the same way Bob is using ThinkingRock above.

My humble opinion only of course (and no offense to Bob, just using his example)

-gb
No offense taken :)
For me one big concern is spending as little time as possible with a GTD program, and more time working. In spite of my long post, the whole process is fast and easy. It seems that version 2 will pack more features, but I’m not sure whether multiple tags is one of them.
If OF allows multiple tags, that will be great (although I don’t think I’ll use this feature that much). If the feature is not included, I’m sure someone will come up with creative workarounds :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff
Interesting app. Looks like it covers most of the bases. I particularly like the toolbar icon. The ability to drag url's is interesting too.

-gb
And the author is very responsive. It may develop into a good GTD app, but for now it’s a bit limited.

Yet another reason to release OmniFocus as all these other apps are popping up left and right. iGTD looks closest to the mark so far.

I hope OmniGuys are taking note of that AddressBook integration.

BZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by BwanaZulia
Yet another reason to release OmniFocus as all these other apps are popping up left and right. iGTD looks closest to the mark so far.

I hope OmniGuys are taking note of that AddressBook integration.

BZ
GTD apps have been popping up for a while now. The most recent ones that I know of are Inbox, Actiontastic, and iGTD. I would not use either of them for my GTD needs. In fact, they seem to have been released before they were ready for prime time. In their defense, Actiontastic is not even at version 1, and iGTD’s author has released numerous fixes and improvements in a very short period.
One approach that’s quite different comes from Ready-Set-Do! It’s not a solution I would choose, but the approach is refreshing.

I certainly hope that by the time OF is released it has a certain level of maturity. I don’t mind if it takes a bit longer.

Essentially a context is a tag.

Multiple tags sounds good to me.

I can definitely see applications for it.

Buy Fred a gift in either Dublin OR New York
Discuss birthday with Fred AND Calls

Definitely...

So, will we be able to tag or have multiple contexts in OF 1.0?- I haven't heard anything about it in quite awhile and didn't see anything in the video.

This is a very big deal for me personally and I think there are many applications for these features for everyone (along with a strong smart folder integration).

Hello all,

I think Steve brought it to the point with the scenario "Mike is calling".

But I will give you another case - the weekly review.
You can seperate the tasks you have pretty easy then (runway to 30.000 ft.)

And furthermore the efforts to create and take care of the tasks through tags are lesser than
to find the right subsubsubsub...context. (And as far as I understood Merlin, he meant not to play around with the software all day long.
"Time to do some shit on your list." )

In my opinion tags are an absolute must. They are pretty flexible as the example above show and they will get more and more I think.

So, OMNI's please think twice about the tags.
thanks in advance

And by the way, I hope there will be a good search function. Because I see the trouble that you remember a certain tasks and do not know where to find it. So therefor the path of the task should be shown in the results.

Udo

Last edited by johnjj; 2007-05-10 at 12:28 PM..

Just in case there was some ambiguity on how I feel about this subject- tagging (or multiple contexts) are a must for me too.

An example from my daily work: I work for many different companies doing multiple product design projects. The way I currently have our stuff organized is by company and then by project- so far so good. One problem that comes up all of the time is that we will have overlap of projects and tasks where they need to be in multiple "buckets" at the same time. An example of that is we work on royalty projects. What I would like to do is go through and tag each project that is a royalty project. Each company might have a couple of royalty projects and might also have a couple of projects we need to prepare for our next meeting- some will be both royalty and for next meeting. It appears that OF will not allow me to "tag" these individual items with multiple contexts (nearly every other thing I saw in the video had me reaching for my wallet).

One question (that has already been brought up) is whether or not tags and contexts are one in the same. I think in many ways they are and it might be the best way to simplify the system. It would be very interesting to have a primary context (to Call, Home, etc.) and secondary contexts (royalty project, issue to deal with, for next meeting, etc.) associated with the individual projects and tasks.

So, how do you visually organize them? What I have seen that I thought works really well is the HUD in Aperture or the keyword plugin by BullStorm.

This whole idea doesn't need to be overly complex, it just needs to have the flexibility of allowing projects and tasks to be in multiple places at the same time (without duplicating or cloning). I want something to where I can tag the items throughout my project and task list and then have the ability to pull the collected results with smart folders (or something similar).

I hope this makes sense and you see the need for having a feature like this.

Yeah. Hierarchical tagging is not really the answer I was looking for. It does enforce an ordered view of your NAs (at a cost . . . since it may not always reflect reality).

Maybe an independent user defined field would be a compromise that we taggers could live with.