The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb Bug Reports
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

PNG transparency? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Looks like there is a rendering issue with .png transparency specific to OW. Compare how navigation button images render as white boxes over the gallery image versus Safari http://jalopnik.com/photogallery/jap...e=thumb800x800 (my apologies for the choice of gallery). This is standard code for other galleries hosted by gawker.com.

These seem to be rendering okay for me here. Are you still having trouble with this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by troyb View Post
These seem to be rendering okay for me here. Are you still having trouble with this?
No. Please see attached screen caps of the gallery navigation section taken with OW and with Safari. The white boxes should be transparent with just the black arrows showing on hover. OW shows the hover arrow correctly but does not render the overlay image correctly. I've tried this both with and without any ad block settings active and on two different machines.

Craig
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	omni.jpg
Views:	689
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	766   Click image for larger version

Name:	safari.jpg
Views:	649
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	767  

Hmmm, not sure what's going on here, they definitely render okay for me here. What version of OmniWeb are you using here?

It works for me too... Are you blocking any images in your Ad blocking preferences that might cause this to happen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKT View Post
It works for me too... Are you blocking any images in your Ad blocking preferences that might cause this to happen?
Per my original post, this was reproducible with ad-blocking enabled OR disabled completely with caches flushed and restarting OW to verify nothing resident in memory. Current OW release version with behavior observed under MacOS 10.5.5 and 10.4.11.

Based on the feedback in this thread, I played around with other settings and found what is causing this. I have colors set to override page styles by default, (jalopnik is unreadable, otherwise) and this somehow produces this rendering artifact. I get correct rendering if I disable my preferred text and link colors. I'm not applying a stylesheet, so I'm baffled why this setting should produce this result. Using a custom stylesheet just for link colors in Safari and setting backgroud/link colors in Firefox does not do this. This would seem to be bugged.

Last edited by technomage; 2008-11-05 at 02:51 PM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by technomage View Post
I have colors set to override page styles by default, (jalopnik is unreadable, otherwise) and this somehow produces this rendering artifact.
jalopnik is http://www.jalopnik.com? I'm looking at it without any browser customization whatsoever, and I don't quite understand what is unreadable about it...care to post an annotated screenshot?

Perhaps the poster has a colour blindness issue that prevents them from seeing the text clearly, much like I apparently have a attention span issue which prevents me from finishing reading posts before answering them... sorry about that ;).

Temporary fix - just set custom colours for jalopnik.com using the site specific preferences, rather than changing the defaults for all sites.

Edit: Doh.... which won't help at all as that is the site where you are having the problem. Ugh.

Last edited by JKT; 2008-11-05 at 11:53 PM..

Fwiw, I can reproduce the problem that technomage is having. Overriding the styles on the site and using e.g. high contrast or IE colours will cause the problem to occur.

yes, i have seen this as well when forcing an override. I almost never use that feature, instead I use a CSS file to enforce what I want. That seems to be fine.