The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb Feature Requests
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Proper ad blocking Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Actually, if you download (free) AdSubtract.css, file it anywhere in your Home folder, and install it as a custom css in your Page Appearance preferences, you'll get total ad blocking as effective as GlimmerBlocker's and you can uncheck all the OW ad blocker options. Yes, there's still those blank boxes, but if you're running OS 10.4 or earlier it's the most useful ad blocker you can find. IIRC it also works on Camino.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
The thinking behind the current behavior is that it preserves the original layout as created by the designer, as well as giving the visitor something to click if they want to see something we've blocked. Call the boxes "hideous" if you must, but it's by design.
I much prefer the choice Omnigroup made here. Collapsing these elements can create layout and readability issues. I've also run into many cases where a match string clobbers an element needed to use a site, unintentionally or otherwise, and knowing where elements are is necessary to load them. Case in point, I block paypal cross-domain web bugs, but sometimes you just have to use their stuff.

I prefer the current implementation as well. I have block 3rd party sites on and every so often i move to an address where the entire page has been blocked with a placeholder. If there was no place holder i'd have no idea that there was actually data blocking.

I have been using the Camino Nightly css based on floppymouse for such a long time now I think this used with OW's blocking is perhaps about as best that is possible.

Thanks for recommending this comprehensive css package (btw, it's "floppymoose.") I've been using AdSubtract.css, which seems pretty good, but I'll try userContent to see if there's any difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwthomas View Post
Thanks for recommending this comprehensive css package (btw, it's "floppymoose.") I've been using AdSubtract.css, which seems pretty good, but I'll try userContent to see if there's any difference.
I tested AdSubtract.css against the generic userContent.css that everyone offers and found AdSubtract more effective on the OmniWeb pages that I used for the tests. The "hideous spaces" that were the original subject of this thread were not affected by either blocker.

Thanks for reporting back, this is certainly helpful to know about AdSubtract as a potential alternative.