The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

OmniFocus for Mac 1.9 approved! Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hello everyone,

We've made OmniFocus 1.9 available on our site.

If you purchased your copy through the Mac App Store, the new version has been submitted to Apple. Once they approve it for sale, it'll appear in the "Updates" tab of your Mac App Store application.

If you purchased your copy through the Omni Store you can Check for Updates from the OmniFocus menu to automatically download and install this latest update.

Highlights in 1.9 include improvements to badge counts, easier access to perspectives and a simpler setup process when syncing through Omni Sync Server.

For more information, including complete release notes, please visit the OmniFocus for Mac download page.

Thanks! And we hope you enjoy OmniFocus for Mac 1.9.

Last edited by troyb; 2011-05-19 at 03:19 PM..

I just downloaded 1.9 and can't seem to be able to hide the item count badges even after unchecking the "Show item count" in the preferences. Specifically the badges in the contexts column.
Am I overlooking something obvious? (very possible).

The setting only applies to the menu bar and dock icon. Could that be the confusion? (They always appear in the sidebar.)

You know what comes after 1.9, don't you??? 2.0! ;)

Ah,
I can picture it now!
- iPad like forecasting
- sending tasks as emails like iPad
- collaboration
- linkage with projects

Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by mctheriot View Post
You know what comes after 1.9, don't you??? 2.0! ;)
Well, it doesn't come before it, but it may not come immediately after it, either. Here's a bit of text from the OmniFocus for iPhone beta release notes:

OmniFocus 1.10 sneaky peek — April 5, 2011

OmniFocus for iPad inspired Forecast replaces the more limited Due Soon and Overdue listings from the Home Screen.

I surely hope that Omnifocus 2 will be a free update as well, because I just bought my Omnifocus license 2 weeks ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mau View Post
I just downloaded 1.9 and can't seem to be able to hide the item count badges even after unchecking the "Show item count" in the preferences. Specifically the badges in the contexts column.
Am I overlooking something obvious? (very possible).
It is puzzling why Omni chose to remove that feature without explanation. Fortunately, if you are willing to use the Terminal application (found in the Utilities folder of the Application folder), you can customize the sidebar badge display, including turning it off entirely on a condition-by-condition basis.

In the Terminal, when OmniFocus is not running, the following command will configure the options:

Code:
defaults write com.omnigroup.OmniFocus <badgename> <badgetype>
where <badgename> is one of:
InboxBadge, AvailableBadge, DueSoonBadge, OverdueBadge
and <badgetype> is one of:
none, dot, count
To remove any customization and restore factory settings, use

Code:
defaults delete com.omnigroup.OmniFocus <badgename>
(This is preferable to setting the current default behavior, as that would prevent you from seeing any change Omni might make in the default behavior in the future.)

Note: all of these commands are case-sensitive!

The setting for InboxBadge is overridden by DueSoonBadge and OverdueBadge; if you have an overdue or due soon item in the Inbox and you've specified that they be shown, you'll get the display even though you may have turned off InboxBadge. InboxBadge might be thought of as InboxBadgeWhenThere'sNothingPressing, but InboxBadge is much easier to type :-)

Notice that <badgetype> includes an option not available through the normal user interface: dot. You just get a color-coded dot, somewhat smaller than the usual badge, no number. If you want a subtle reminder that there are actions in the Inbox, but not a number staring you in the face, or maybe the same for actions which are due soon, but not yet overdue, the dot is a nice option.

Just to stave off some potential confusion, I'll point out that these settings interact with the badge settings for menu bar and dock icon in potentially confusing ways. If you have set your preferences so that the dock icon count is the number of due soon items, but you've turned off display of due soon items (DueSoonBadge none), you will not get any indication in the dock icon, and you won't get a menubar menu at all! Similarly, if you turn on (InboxBadge count), but have (DueSoonBadge none) and (OverdueBadge none) set, you won't see a count of items in the Inbox whenever you've got an overdue or due soon item in there, because OF uses the most urgent item to decide how to style the display.

If you don't like the change Omni has made here, let them know via Help->Send Feedback. Similarly, if you like the change, also let them know via Help->Send Feedback.

A feature I'd like to see is the ability to set these options via URL (as you can do with the iOS versions). Had I had such a feature, this post would have contained a menu of links you could click to set all of these options. If you send in feedback asking for this, you can help me help you in the future :-)

Last edited by whpalmer4; 2011-04-13 at 06:51 AM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by devastat View Post
I surely hope that Omnifocus 2 will be a free update as well, because I just bought my Omnifocus license 2 weeks ago.
Well, if it comes out within 30 days of your purchase, the money back guarantee will cover you. Otherwise, it's a major upgrade, and Omni traditionally gives you about 60-70% of the price you paid for any previous version toward the new version. However, given that there are two Mac apps (OmniPlan and OmniOutliner) due for major upgrades which appear to be in the pipeline ahead of OmniFocus 2 (OmniPlan 2 is already in limited beta), not to mention two more iPad apps (OmniOutliner, also in private beta, and OmniPlan), I'll be pleasantly surprised if we see OmniFocus 2 generally available under the Christmas tree this year...

Still no possibility to sort flagged items. (IE move them up and down)

That's ALL I really wanted for an update

:(

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakobox View Post
Still no possibility to sort flagged items. (IE move them up and down)

That's ALL I really wanted for an update

:(
A problem with any kind of manual sorting option for context mode is that you need to somehow keep a record of the order the user has chosen, both so that it doesn't evaporate if you close the window or quit OmniFocus, and so that the order can be synced to any other OmniFocus clients. Without that, it's a pretty slipshod implementation, in my view. Unfortunately, to add it likely means extending the file format, and suddenly it's a much more involved project than just twiddling the UI around a bit. My guess is you don't see it prior to 2.0 for that reason — they'll want to change the file format once, not twice in quick succession.

On the Mac, you can just drag and drop actions into another application, such as TextEdit, creating a list with your desired ordering. The actions will go over as links, and when you click the links, you'll be taken to OmniFocus and the corresponding action. Doesn't really help if you wanted to work off your iPhone or iPad, but it beats writing things down!