The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Syncing > Bonjour sync
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Bonjour Sync - Firewall questions Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
jwn2, for now the Bonjour service is only available when both the server and the client (phone or a second computer) are on the same local network segment. So you should be able to sync fine by your home computer (I'm assuming that's the Bonjour master), but not by your work computer. That may change in the future.

If that's not what you're describing, I may be misinterpreting your question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
jwn2, for now the Bonjour service is only available when both the server and the client (phone or a second computer) are on the same local network segment. So you should be able to sync fine by your home computer (I'm assuming that's the Bonjour master), but not by your work computer. That may change in the future.

If that's not what you're describing, I may be misinterpreting your question.
Perhaps because I wasn't particularly clear. :)

We're talking about the same computer and iPhone, here. Only the network has changed.

It looks like this story has a sad ending (at least for me). Your reply reminded me I hadn't checked the IP addresses. At the moment I have a Powerbook, my MPB, and my iPhone in the office simultaneously.

<sigh>

For our wireless lan, the netmask is 255.255.240.0. For the PB, MBP, and iPhone the router/addresses are: 10.72.64.1/10.72.77.113, 10.72.32.1/10.72.35.199; 10.72.16.1/10.72.25.44. So Bonjour is cooked. I tried hacking the address of the iPhone. I could get it to share the router with the MPB, but they were still on different subnets.

I supposed this must make sense to our networking people. Perhaps they can explain it to me.

<sigh>

Turned off the firewall in Tiger and got to sync but I agree this is not a long term solution. Still it beats no synch at all.

I don't want to update to Leopard just to resolve this issue either

I use Air Sharing via Bonjour and don't have any problem.

Andrew
iphone 3G with OF 1.1
10.4.11 with OF 1.5 release

I figured out a hack that works for me. Actually someone else suggested this, I think. I created a private network with my MacBook Pro and gave the iPhone an address in the network. This put them on the same subnet. Once both were in the same neighborhood they happily sync'd.

What I discovered at my office is that with my MBP and iPhone sitting within inches of each other, somehow the routers for our wireless LAN put them on different subnets. I still haven't figured that one out.

I'm looking for this same hack -- sync the same iPhone OF database to the same MBP both via Bonjour both at home (working brilliantly) but also over my large office network (not working -- now I think I understand why).

For the non-network savvy, would you be willing to walk me through the steps needed to set up the VPN, or redirect me to such a resource? I believe this would be of great interest to many more out here.... Thx in advance.