The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

OmniFocus UI Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
@Schlaefer

I'm with you on hating the 'text in space' problem. How the heck you're meant to easily see which action is flagged when the flag column is all the way over to the right I'll never know.

This annoyed me straight away about OF so I went to move the flag column to be to the left of the action - a much better place for it to be imho. Of course, OF won't let you move columns.

Also another thumbs down for having to resize columns. OF continuously messes up my columns so that text wraps around and creates extra lines / spaces between my actions. Messy and annoying.

Give us a choice to have lines going across.
Give us the choice to re-order columns.
Make the columns have dynamic width so they can expand to hold the content instead of creating a new line.

For me these are basics and should have been in there from the word go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BevvyB View Post
Make the columns have dynamic width so they can expand to hold the content instead of creating a new line.
Those of us with small screens and large context names wouldn't appreciate this unless it was possible to disable it! There are times when auto-sizing would be nice (I personally think that date columns ought to always have it) but most of the time I prefer hand-tuning the column widths and saving them in a perspective.

@whpalmer4

I'm sure it would be easy to have an option somewhere of just how big a field column can be before it starts a new line

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
I know myself and at least a few others find ourselves only using the inspector for the repeat feature; not sure how all those repeat options could be implemented inside the main window in a simple way, though.
We have an icon for repeating actions now. I'd like to see a click on that icon pop up a small window with repeat options. For keyboard-only use, tabbing into the icon column and pressing the space bar would bring up the window.

Curt

Quote:
@whpalmer4

I'm sure it would be easy to have an option somewhere of just how big a field column can be before it starts a new line
That is true, but what makes you think the same number would be the right one for each and every view? My column widths are very different in my windows that have dates showing!

I just think there is something that could be done to make columns more easy to handle in general. I find myself fiddling with columns TOO MUCH.

My biggest gripe is in project view, where I'm not able to change the size of the context column AT ALL because that's the one column that won't let you move it. In project view, my context names do horrible stuff like move the last letter of the context name to the next line like so:

Productio
n

All I want to be able to do is make the context column width a little wider, but in project view you can't do that. Drives me mad.

Hmmm. I can make the context column wider in project view. I'm on 1.6.

Hmm weird, when I click into the context area, the context column name appears above it, when I click out it vanishes

I have just managed to change it's width. Must be a bug though I guess.

Quote:
Hmm weird, when I click into the context area, the context column name appears above it, when I click out it vanishes

I have just managed to change it's width. Must be a bug though I guess.
It's a usability bug, if it's a bug at all. Project mode shows both projects (which don't display a context) and actions (which do). The column headings change based on which row is selected.

I _never_ have to fiddle with columns in OF. I just set them like I want, save a snapshot of the perspective, and they work. OF really works best with custom perspectives. That's part of what makes it hard to approach, but provides a lot of power once you get used to it.

Curt

Quote:
Originally Posted by curt.clifton View Post
OF really works best with custom perspectives. That's part of what makes it hard to approach, but provides a lot of power once you get used to it.
I agree. I do ALL my work in custom perspectives. I put quite a bit of effort into them, but now they each provide exactly what I want. I love it.

I've only seen screenshots of the competition so I have limited direct knowledge, but I would be surprised if any others are as flexible in this way as OF.