The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Creating Org Char Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Greetings,

I am trying to use OG for ipad to create an org chart. Can anyone offer their preferred way for doing this? Obviously not having the outline view that is available on the desktop version makes it a bit tougher.

The best I've been able to do is just to create the shapes and link them in the 'draw' mode. I am finding it a bit tough to arrange things nicely with 90-degree lines in a structured way, without having to do a lot of manual work.

To put it another way, it is much easier to do this on the desktop! Just wondering if there is an almost-as-good approach for doing this on the ipad version. I want to be able to easily create a same sized box that is automatically linked to a parent box, eg.

Thanks.

Eric

As you apparently have a copy of the desktop application, I'd say the easiest thing to do is to just make a blank org chart with as many levels as you typically need, then send it over to the iPad to use as a template. When you need to add an extra box at a given depth in the chart, select an existing one, copy and paste, then connect from parent to child. When you've got all the boxes, open the inspector and use the Diagram Layout tool to have it attempt to lay it all out neatly.

Keep a blank copy of the document in the documents gallery if you'll be doing this frequently, and duplicate it when you need another.

Ok, thanks. Hopefully a more elegant solution is on it's way. Knowing Omni I am sure it is. Thanks!

Eric