The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

OmniWeb Versions (Builds = Versions?) Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hello,

I can't seem to find a table list of what OmniWeb build numbers correspond to OmniWeb version numbers. For example this page has just that though for Safari...
http://developer.apple.com/internet/.../uamatrix.html

We don't really have build numbers, although we sometimes call some of the internal version numbers "build numbers" out of habit. We also don't have an exhaustive table of which numbers correspond to which, though we can look those things up if we need to.

Why do you want to know? Maybe there's an easier way to do what you're trying to do.

Browser identification mainly, reading access logs one would imagine you folks aren't working on version 700 or so right now. It'd be nice to have an easy way to identify what version of OmniWeb people are using. For example Safari works like this...

"Safari/41" = Safari 2.X
"Safari/31" = Safari 1.3X
"Safari/125" = Safari 1.2x
"Safari/100" = Safari 1.1x
"Safari/85" = Safari 1.0x

Also I assume that the version of OmniWeb does not exactly correspond with the system version of WebKit? In other words if Safari 3 is installed an older version of OmniWeb will use that version and thus rating (the rendering engine of) an older version of OmniWeb isn't possible based just on it's build?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wim Lewis
We don't really have build numbers, although we sometimes call some of the internal version numbers "build numbers" out of habit. We also don't have an exhaustive table of which numbers correspond to which, though we can look those things up if we need to.

Why do you want to know? Maybe there's an easier way to do what you're trying to do.
It would be useful at the moment, for instance. With the current OW5.6 sneaky-peeks, on the 28th June I installed "OmniWeb-5.6-r88432-Alpha"; "About OmniWeb" reported "OW5.6 b4" as being installed. Today, I downloaded "OmniWeb-5.6-r88516-Alpha" and installed it ... apparently. "About OmniWeb" still reports "OW5.6 b4" with the same build number, I believe (v611) ... at least that's the impression I get. I'll have to keep an eye on that, 'cos currently I have no idea if the new version has actually installed or not as it's not coming up as b5.

If I send you feedback, how do I let you know which version of b4 I am running, given that this latest update doesn't seem to have changed the version number.

Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by xiamenese
If I send you feedback, how do I let you know which version of b4 I am running, given that this latest update doesn't seem to have changed the version number.
If you select Send Feedback from the Help menu, OmniWeb will automatically create a mail message which includes the revision number as part of the subject line.

You can also pull up OmniWeb's About panel and click on the version number to access more detailed build information for your current build.

(None of this helps with the original question, though, of mapping a particular build and revision number to a product version number such as "5.5.4".)

I don't think they incremented the build number on the new sneaky peek -- I trashed the old copy, redownloaded and it still shows 5.6 R4 (Build 611).

I'm pretty sure its an updated copy -- I haven't been able to crash it yet.

the sneaky peeks will have the same build number, since they're pulled whenever something changes. We generally bump the build number for milestones. (I probably won't bump it again till beta, for example).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael
the sneaky peeks will have the same build number, since they're pulled whenever something changes. We generally bump the build number for milestones. (I probably won't bump it again till beta, for example).
Do the R#'s correlate to anything? Webkit version?

believe that's our revision number, actually. Take big changes w/ a grain of salt, though, any commit on any project increments the number, so someone working industriously on Graffle might make the count look bigger than it is ;)