The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

OmniOutliner for the iPhone Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Thanks for all the feedback about what you would and wouldn't use in an iPhone edition of OmniOutliner! I know a lot of you are eager to see this as soon as possible; I want it yesterday myself.

But before we build OmniOutliner for iPhone, we think it's important to add automatic document syncing to OmniOutliner—and, of course, to ship the long-awaited OmniOutliner 4. So that's our immediate plan for 2013.

(After those ship? We'll see!)

Please add me to the list of folks who want an iPhone version ASAP.

BTW I am the original creator of ALDUS persuasion (later published by Adobe) and ECCO PRO (Published first by my company Arabesque, and then bought by NetManage). Both of those products relied heavily on outlining :) .

Hi Pete ... I cannot describe how much I miss Ecco Pro. It's remarkable to me that a program designed over twenty years ago, and undeveloped for over 15 years, still has not been surpassed by anything else. Even OO, as good as it is, has little of the flexibility and usability of Ecco Pro.

If OO just added filtering based on columnar values, it would start to approach what Ecco could do in terms of user-determined flexibility, and the ability to see the same data in customized configurations. But I haven't seen that among the hints of what's coming in OO4, so I'm not optimistic ... but I can dream.

Any chance of someone developing Ecco for the Mac someday? What would it take?

Last edited by rogbar; 2013-01-27 at 04:21 PM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogbar View Post
Hi Pete ... I cannot describe how much I miss Ecco Pro. It's remarkable to me that a program designed over twenty years ago, and undeveloped for over 15 years, still has not been surprised by anything else. Even OO, as good as it is, has little of the flexibility and usability of Ecco Pro.

If OO just added filtering based on columnar values, it would start to approach what Ecco could do in terms of user-determined flexibility, and the ability to see the same data in customized configurations. But I haven't seen that among the hints of what's coming in OO4, so I'm not optimistic ... but I can dream.

Any chance of someone developing Ecco for the Mac someday? What would it take?
Thanks so much for the very kind words about Ecco. It's very much appreciated. You can tell from my request for an iphone version of OO that there aren't any plans in the works for a new version of ecco. I think I heard that Ecco PRO does work over Parallels, and i think its still available somewhere.

Pete

I'm just joining OmniOutliner, and lack of iphone support is a key issue for me. I'm using Mac and iPad version, and can't find an iphone app that can work with OmniOutliner effectively -- several outliners support OPML but not multiple columns; List Maker supports multiple columns but not OPML; List Maker supports column import/export via CSV but OmniOutliner supports CSV in export only.

The primary use cases are:
a) adding new outlines, and new entries on existing outlines, on-the-fly
b) editing outline entries -- both those added on the iphone and existing entries from iPad and Mac
c) viewing outlines for quick reference

1. Column support is critical -- need to be able to add and edit outline nodes and not necessarily the columns, but saving must retain the existing columns. CarbonFin Outliner can edit the nodes but overwrites the column data.

2. don't need text formatting on the iphone.

3. attachment support is nice-to-have, but not critical.

4. Editing is critical -- at least the main text in the outline node, and not necessarily the other columns which could be view only in initial release. Would like ability to edit columns in later release.

5. Sync is critical -- this is the entire point of having OmniOutliner on Mac and iPhone

Thanks

Waiting and dreaming. sometimes the time goes so slow.

I'm using Taskpaper for somethings but it isn't a pure outliner.

I can't live without OmniOutliner. Works for everything. Fast, clear and intuitive. I hope the version 4 don´t change its nature.

And the iPhone version will be a killer one. My home screen has a place for it.

For me the driver is fear (need), not desire (features). I really want to keep more and more of my life in OmniOutliner but I am fearful that I'll need to refer to something when I'm out and about and it won't be there on my iPhone.

As a minimum feature set to remove that fear, I really just need a "view" capability along with OmniSync to get the info onto my phone. This would "enable" me to fully use OO on my iPad and Mac without the fear that's stopping me.

I want OO for iPhone. I don't do iPad, just the iPhone and Macbook Pro. It need not be full featured to be desirable because nobody in their right mind would try to use it the same way as the full version on the Mac.

It does need to be editable, sync enabled, simple, clean and fast. No multi-column or attachments, minimal formatting. Access to content and quick, simple editing. collapsable topics, checkboxes. It seems like the iPad version could be the basis, make this one simpler and shorten the development cycle.

It seems like a gaping hole in the Omni suite. I'm a writer who lives out of OmniOutliner. I've got all my stuff synced between my Mac and my iPad, but then when I'm out on the town with just my iPhone, I have to fly blind and settle for some random outline app that doesn't have my files in it, then copy and paste its contents later on. For those who've been living similarly, I checked out a bunch of them and have found "Cloud Outliner" to offer the most Omni-like experience. Has anyone found a better option to hold us over?

If it's not actually going to happen, Omni, we can handle being told so. But please don't string us along for another year (having told us it could possibly maybe be in the works after OmniPresence was released) on a pipe dream.

Last edited by Unliterate; 2013-12-11 at 03:17 PM.. Reason: clarifying

…and still no OO for iPhone in sight. That is, how many years?