The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Auto-update = multiple App copies in the Applications Folder? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi there,

today, after a couple of weeks, I opened the Applications folder again. I hardly ever do that, so … Well.

There were 29 copies of OmniFocus in that directory, neatly numbered by release. The first one was 95099.

Now, has anybody else seen such a behaviour? It might be important to note that 1) I am NOT the admin on this Mac (but the admin password question shows up nicely when self-updating) and that 2) I also found a slew of OmniWeb copies in the Applications directory …

I’m running 10.4.11 Tiger on a MacBook Pro, in case that’s important.

Cheers,
-Sascha

P. S. Also sent as feedback, OG #246709.

Hi Sascha,

how do you update? Do you leave a copy, or delete the original? I checked "delete original" and that one ends up in my Trash (where I find the slew of older versions).

I'm running Leo, though.

I’m in the same situation as you, Sascha. I don’t run as Administrator. I use auto-update in the application—it asks me to validate when I install a new build, but regardless of whether or not I have the ‘Archive existing version before updating’ option checked, I always end up with different builds sitting in my Applications folder. I just remember to check the folder every few days and clear out all the old builds, it’s not a great headache. I suspect that what’s happening is that we’re being asked to authenticate to copy the new application into the Applications folder, but we’re not being asked to authenticate for deleting the old builds.

Hi Herman,

I use “Check for Updates”, a window pops up, I chose “Install” (no archiving) and that’s that …

Hi Richard,

ah, so it really seems to be a “non-admin” issue! I remember the headache that was the new auto-update function in OmniWeb a while ago. Seems as if OF and OW use the same technique (understandably so).

It’s not a biggie, really. I just need to remember to clean out my Applications folder from time to time. As I usually don’t look in there –*I use Spotlight to start my applications –*this is an extra step I’d like to avoid, but for the time being … After all, there won’t be four updates a day after the Beta is over, I guess. :D

Cheers,
-Sascha

Hi Sascha,
I'm not running as admin either. So could it be a Tiger/Leo thing? Do you have the "delete disk image" checkbox checked before OF asks about relaunching?

Hi Herman,

yes, I have that checkbox, well, checked, and funny enough, there’s an OF application in my trash after updating.

I’ll check again with the next update.

Cheers,
-Sascha

Okay, quick update:

Apparently, the old OF versions DO get deleted. At any rate, after updating today, there’s only the shell of the old version left in the Applications folder –*an empty application with 0 KB.

Probably a permissions problem. As my user installed the app, everything in it is owned by my user and can be deleted with user privileges –*but the app folder itself needs admin privileges to be deleted, so it isn’t.

That’s how Firefox auto-updates: It doesn’t replace firefox.app as a whole, but just writes over the contents of firefox.app. No Admin validation is needed.

Cheers,
-Sascha