The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Please allow clipping without selecting text in Mail.app Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I'll second this, third this, fourth, this, or wherever we are at. This is probably the most useful feature in iGTD for me right now because so many of my emails get converted to tasks and then filed away out of site.

This subject is discussed extensively elsewhere on the forums.

Apple Mail doesn't allow clipping services to work with messages selected in the message list. Omni has filed a bug report with Apple on this. Omni is also looking into creating a Mail bundle to support capturing messages selected in the message list.

Many people have had success using my Mail script available here. (I would also prefer a native solution, but given the choice between no solution and a scripted solution, I'll take the script. I look forward to retiring my script when Omni or Apple resolve the problem.)

Curt

thanks curt.

So how does iGTD do it? Their solution is native.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmathes View Post
thanks curt.

So how does iGTD do it? Their solution is native.
I can't say for sure since I'm not the developer or use iGTD but it looks like an Applescript is used, the iGTD contains several applescript for different applications but one is called "appMailToiGTD" and it does contain some code which looks like it imports the first of the selected messages.

I don't know if this is the one iGTD uses but ...

Similar scripts seem to exist for Camino, DEVONthink, EagleFiler, Finder, Journler, MailTags, Word, TextEdit etc.

I know some view ‘native’ as meaning ‘no applescript’.

Me? I don’t care. I define ‘native’ as ‘all I have to do is install/update the application.’

I don’t want bolt ons like ‘I update the app and then I have to reinstall these 4 scripts from other people to make it do what I want it to do’.

So if OG wants to use Applescripts to get this done, I could care less. Just get it done from within the app itself. Use applescripts, or bubble gum and bailing wire for all I care. Whatever if takes to give me in sound fashion the functionality I need. And if the answer is I have to use someone else’s script, not interested.

I agree with that sentiment wholeheartedly. I've hacked together scripts in the past to do quick-and-dirty things, but I usually prefer to do that for things that are special cases and infrequent by nature.

Something that would be used regularly as a core feature should most definitely be integrated into the OF app itself in some way, and IMHO an AppleScript under the hood is not a bad way of doing this if that's what it takes...

I've got this working, at least in an experimental and unfinished state.

To enable it:

- Turn on some defaults in Terminal:

defaults write com.apple.mail BundleCompatibilityVersion 3
defaults write com.apple.mail EnableBundles -bool YES
defaults write com.omnigroup.OmniFocus InstallOmniMailMessageServiceEnabler -bool YES

- Relaunch OmniFocus; this will install a symlink in ~/Library/Mail/Bundles/OmniMailMessageServiceEnabler.mailbundle

- Relaunch Mail to load the new bundle

Your clipping hot key should work for messages selected in the top table now.

NOTE This has only been tested on 10.5. Also, I've noticed a bug in Mail (grr) where image attachments only come through if they are in a forwarded message (no idea how they managed that).

Also of note, if you have multiple messages selected, _all_ the messages will be copied into the notes of a single action, though the 'Original Message' link will point to the first message only. My thinking right now is to have multiple links to the original messages in this case; feedback welcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wood View Post

Also of note, if you have multiple messages selected, _all_ the messages will be copied into the notes of a single action, though the 'Original Message' link will point to the first message only. My thinking right now is to have multiple links to the original messages in this case; feedback welcome.
It's working in my Leopard system. Thanks.

I think having multiple links to the original messages would be great!

Also, is there a way to bypass the quick entry dialog box?

The quick entry still has a bug where it wouldn't display projects/contexts in the order as they appear in the sidebar.

Ken

Last edited by ksrhee; 2007-11-23 at 11:52 PM..

This is working beautifully for me on 10.5! Thank you so much. I actually like having the item appear in the Quick Entry window, as it provides an easy way to clean up/hone the auto-generated entry while it's fresh on your mind (not later on, when you're trying to process lots of items from your Inbox).

Thanks again!

dave v.

Works for me. I (currently) like having it goto the quick entry

Now if I could just get the "original message" to result in something other than "Error - No associated application could be found" ...