The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Context Help : Work Projects Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi guys,

Recently became an OmniFocus user (switched from Things) and so far I think its outstanding :) (I'm just getting used to the GTD ethos and have ordered the Dave Allen book to further understand the process...)

Anyway, I would like a quick mental leg-up in terms of contexts... I'm finding it hard to find the right contexts for what I am doing.

In a nutshell I run a graphic and web design business and 95% of the content I put into OmniFocus are things that will be done a) in the office b) at my mac c) in collaboration with some or all of my team. Therefore I don't see the advantage of using the standard contexts such as Office / Home / Mac etc since the vast majority of my projects will all be done in the same place, with the same people, using the same tools.

So... What would be the best way for me to use contexts to get the most out of this excellent program?

In your case it seems fairly simple at first glance.

You should delete all the standard contexts and make:

Office
Mac
Bobby
Jane
Frank

(the last 3 being examples of staff names).

However, I would say that you may not have understood the complete idea behind GTD and when you read the book you will probably come up with more contexts e.g. I'm sure you do have a life outside of work and you probably do things like eat (maybe you need some specific groceries while your at the store), perhaps even have a spouse, maintain semi-regular visits to the dentist etc. GTD is how you live, not just work.

I see what you're saying but I don't really see how that could help...

I understand that having the peoples names in there help (I currently have it as a parent context of "Delegate" then names as children... However I don't see how Mac and Office could help since they (well not both since you can only have one) would be on pretty much every item... almost every single task of every single project within Omnifocus for me would be done on my Mac, in my office...

I will use it for stuff outside work, and I will put contexts for them that are more of the "person / place / tool" way of thinking but my life outside work is relatively simple compared to in work so just Office / Mac / etc doesn't really help me break stuff up...

Would it be against GTD ethos to have contexts like Design, Develop, Quote, Call, Photograph, etc?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sootylad View Post
Would it be against GTD ethos to have contexts like Design, Develop, Quote, Call, Photograph, etc?
Not at all! If it helps you get those tasks done more efficiently, it's worth breaking them up that way.

There are a lot of good ideas in GTD but I don't think it should be regarded as graven in stone. If your workflow works for you, that's great. As an example, I have a couple projects in OmniFocus that don't really have a specific outcome. ("Drink Water", for example.)

One of the David Allen coaches told me I shouldn't have a project like that, but I figure in the meantime, I'd rather follow my doctor's advice to stay properly hydrated. :-)

Last edited by Brian; 2011-01-24 at 01:45 PM.. Reason: remove unnecessary comma