The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniPlan > OmniPlan General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

No More "Level before date" Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi,

I am amazed that you have removed this feature - it is something that i use virtually every time i level resources. It gives an incredible amount of control in moving tasks around based on a date when you want it to start. I have showed this to other project managers with audible gasps of dismay that it has been removed.

Could you pls advise how to either a) change settings to get this feature back or b) downgrade back to version 2.0.3 as this will dramatically slow me and my team down in working with project plans.

This is a major backwards step for using Omniplan (of which i am a huge advocate). Appreciate your urgent advice on this matter.

Thanks,
Dave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveS.1 View Post
Could you pls advise how to either a) change settings to get this feature back or b) downgrade back to version 2.0.3 as this will dramatically slow me and my team down in working with project plans.
Sorry this isn't more clear! The "don't schedule any tasks before [date]" feature is still present, but it's now tied to the current editing date (which you can change using "Set Current Editing Date" from the Project menu). Once you've set that date, you can use the "Don't schedule any task before…" checkbox on the leveling sheet as you would have used it in 2.0.3.

If you preferred the previous arrangement, please let us know! You can also download OmniPlan 2.0.3 from our release notes page.

Hi Ken, thanks for the prompt response.

This requires me to go in and constantly change the Current Editing Date which is very cumbersome. And presumably i would have to change it back to today's date afterwards if this setting affects other actions i take in Omniplan.

Being able to easily level tasks to a future date is a very useful way of moving around tasks without the need to specify constraints or add in dependencies or lags on dependencies. It is particularly useful when looking to easily shuffle tasks around in an existing plan.

Is there a way to get the previous feature to work in 2.1?

Last edited by DaveS.1; 2012-04-17 at 05:36 PM..

I'm a bit confused — how is this not exactly the functionality provided by the old setup? If I want to level and not schedule any tasks before next Tuesday, with the old scheme I put next Tuesday's date in the "Don't schedule any task before date:" box in the Level dialog. With the new scheme, I use Project->Set Current Editing Date to set the date to next Tuesday's date, then level. The tasks seem to end up in the same place either way. The new route is a bit more convenient if you want to add a bunch of tasks to be started in the future, and slightly less convenient if you frequently level with different dates. Is there something I'm missing here?

Right. It is the frequently leveling tasks with different dates that is the problem.

Hi Ken, any likelihood that this feature will be reinstated in future releases? I use this feature a lot and it is very inconvenient to use the workaround. Am currently back on 2.0.3 but obviously would like to benefit from future updates to the s/ware.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveS.1 View Post
Hi Ken, thanks for the prompt response.

This requires me to go in and constantly change the Current Editing Date which is very cumbersome. And presumably i would have to change it back to today's date afterwards if this setting affects other actions i take in Omniplan.

Being able to easily level tasks to a future date is a very useful way of moving around tasks without the need to specify constraints or add in dependencies or lags on dependencies. It is particularly useful when looking to easily shuffle tasks around in an existing plan.

Is there a way to get the previous feature to work in 2.1?
Any word on this feature being reinstated Ken? - still on 2.0.3 as i don't want to lose this functionality?