The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Drag tabs out if tab bar to close them...... Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Would this not be a great feature?, Just grab a tab in the tab bar and drag it out of the bar, and BAM tab closed!

That would mimic the dock functionality. Though, it seems like clicking on the x would be easier.

Page tabs are documents rather than shortcuts, so the logical behaviour would be to save the page (as an archive etc) to the desktop.

I'm with Krypton, this would be logical and of course a nice feature.

You can hold down option as you drag and drop to copy the webloc for the tab to the desktop.

That gesture actually already has an important meaning, it's just that the code for it doesn't exist/work in 5.5 (yet, apparently).

Try it in 5.1. You'll see that you can drag tabs from browser to browser, insert them between other tabs or have them deposit themselves at the end. Oh, and if you get lost (say the place you want to go isn't visible) just let go and they snap back.

I miss this behaviour very much and will be really happy when it comes back. Your suggestion would unfortunately nullify that.

As it turns out it's apparently too easy to drag stuff out of the dock. I'm forever fixing peoples' docks for them around here. It's even more confusing that you can drag an app out of the dock while the app is running -- since the app is then still visible in the dock! Then when the app exits...poof. That is probably not what you're imagining with OW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumby
Try it in 5.1. You'll see that you can drag tabs from browser to browser, insert them between other tabs or have them deposit themselves at the end. Oh, and if you get lost (say the place you want to go isn't visible) just let go and they snap back.

I miss this behaviour very much and will be really happy when it comes back. Your suggestion would unfortunately nullify that.
Works for me in 5.5 beta 2 and I'm fairly sure it always has. However, one change in behaviour from 5.1 is that the tab can disappear off the bottom of the drawer (it still retains its focus if it had it, but due to the shuffling of the tabs when you drag it away from the drawer, when it snaps back, it doesn't scroll the drawer back up to make itself visible any more).

Edit: This can be seen in this thread in the sneaky peek forum.

Last edited by JKT; 2006-07-31 at 10:47 PM..

Yeah sorry: too hasty; the gesture that doesn't work is "drag onto the browser window" (rather than "drag into browser tab drawer"). This is a known issue.

That behaviour would be indistinguishable from "drag to discard".