The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle Extras
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Variables like: <%CreationDate%> Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Could somebody explain how these <%CreationDate%> works.

I would create the day of the week not only in English, I need it in German.

Thanks for ansvering.

Pinie

I have no experience of using it, but I imagine it applies the date format that you have set systemwide, so it will only use either English or German depending upon your System Preferences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKT
I have no experience of using it, but I imagine it applies the date format that you have set systemwide, so it will only use either English or German depending upon your System Preferences.
Yes, that's right, but there are some variables I would like to know about. E.g. how to get the day of week of the date. Is somebody who can explain me?
Tank you.
Wilfried

Pinie,

The OmniGraffle online help has a section on this. I've included most of it below:

Insert Variable
While you are editing a shape object's text, select one of these commands to insert a special tag. When you finish editing the text, the tag changes to represent some aspect of the object itself, the canvas, the page, or the document. If you change the thing the tag refers to, the tag automatically updates itself.
If you are using one of the date variables, you can customize the format of the date using Cocoa's date formatting tokens. For example, to get a date like "2005 - 10 - 06 16:00", you could type this:
<%date %Y - %m - %d %H:%M %>
Canvas Name — the name of the canvas the object inhabits.
Document Name — the name of the document the object inhabits.
Current Date — the date right this very minute; this is nice for knowing when a document was printed.
Document Creation Date — the date that the document was originally created, according to Mac OS X's file system.
Document Modification Date — the date that the document was last saved, according to Mac OS X's file system.
Creator — the name of the user who created the file, according to Mac OS X's file system.
Modifier — the name of the user who last saved the file, according to Mac OS X's file system.
Page Number — the number of the page that the object inhabits, according to the Canvas: Size inspector and the Page Setup panel.
Total Pages — the number of pages in the whole document. Use this with the Page Number tag to get results like "Page 2 of 5".
X Position — the object's horizontal distance from the origin, just like in the Properties: Geometry inspector.
Y Position — the object's vertical distance from the origin, just like in the Properties: Geometry inspector.
Width — the object's horizontal size, just like in the Properties: Geometry inspector.
Height — the object's vertical size, just like in the Properties: Geometry inspector.
Line Length — This tag is somewhat unique. When the shape object containing the tag is attached to a line as a label, it shows the line's length. It's not useful if the shape object is not a line label.

FYI, this documentation can be found here. The short answer is that variables are found in the Edit > Insert Variable menu. I was also trying to over-complicate things with code references and/or secret commands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ape
Pinie,

The OmniGraffle online help has a section on this. I've included most of it below:

Insert Variable
While you are editing a shape object's text, select one of these commands to insert a special tag. When you finish editing the text, the tag changes to represent some aspect of the object itself, the canvas, the page, or the document. If you change the thing the tag refers to, the tag automatically updates itself.
If you are using one of the date variables, you can customize the format of the date using Cocoa's date formatting tokens. For example, to get a date like "2005 - 10 - 06 16:00", you could type this:
<%date %Y - %m - %d %H:%M %>
Canvas Name — the name of the canvas the object inhabits.
Document Name — the name of the document the object inhabits.

I like to put the modification date in my documents, but I don't always want the variable to update. If I open a document just to look at it, something minor happens and then the modification date updates. But I don't want to use the creation date, because I want the modification date to update when I apply significant edits.

iWork apps handle this really well since they give you the option to update the modification date manually. I'm guessing that feature doesn't exist in OmniGraffle. Right?

Fall back plan, I suppose, is to convert the modification date to plain text whenever I do an update. Unless I am missing something (and I often do!) consider this a feature request.