The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Cannot insert application URL into a Note Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I'm able to insert an HTTP hyperlink into the notes of an Action, such as:

http://www.google.com/ig?refresh=1

However, when I try to paste in a URL reference referencing an entity in my CRM (Daylite), it does not insert a new hyperlink, but creates an additional blank new Action instead:

daylite3:BKPI/?Command=ShowObject&En...ntact&ID=71000

What can I do to get a hyperlink to an entity in another program into an OmniFocus Note?

How are you trying to paste in the URL reference? This worked for me: I created a new action, opened the notes fields (using Cmd-'), and pasted in your daylite URL without any trouble.

Curt

Yah, I can insert the actual text if I type it in or if I copy and paste the ASCII characters. But, I was hoping to get linkable, underlined text that brings me to the resource when I select it, as you get in a Notes field when referencing an HTTP link or an email message:

http://www.google.com

The problem occurs when I try to paste the actual external program (Daylite) link from my clipboard into the Notes field. It then creates a new Action without actually pasting in the desired link. This issue apparently is difficult to replicate unless you have a program that allows linking to internal elements.

I think the problem is that OmniFocus isn't properly parsing the link in order to recognize it as a valid URL:

daylite3:BKPI/?Command=ShowObject&En...ntact&ID=71000

Is there a way to force OmniFocus to 'see' the string as a URL? There doesn't seem to be an 'Insert as Link' or a way to surround the text with specifiers, as in '<URL>text</URL>'.

Select the text you'd like to turn into a link (doesn't necessarily have to be a URL) and then select from the menu bar:

Format -> Text -> Add Link...

This menu option turns into "Edit Link..." if the selected text is already a link. You can also right-click on an existing link and get the "Edit Link..." command in the resulting contextual menu.

I use the menu bar commands so often that I assigned a keyboard shortcut to them using Mac OS X's Keyboard -> Keyboard Shortcuts preference pane.

Hope this helps.

-Dennis

Excellent! Thanks, Toadling and Curt! I knew I was missing something.