The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iPhone "due" not matching Mac "due" Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hello.

When I go into the Due view that ships with OF (latest version), right now it is showing me 5 items between today and tomorrow that are due. When I sync with my iPhone, it shows me 8 items that are due between today and tomorrow. Both the Mac and iPhone preferences are set to show 2 days' worth of due items.

What's with the discrepancy? I'm sure it's something obvious, I usually miss these things, but hopefully someone has a quick and easy explanation.

Thanks!
Robin

Just off the top of my head, but I believe that the OF for the iPhone will count due/due soon projects while OF for the Mac will not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifonline View Post
Just off the top of my head, but I believe that the OF for the iPhone will count due/due soon projects while OF for the Mac will not.
I thought that was what the "Show due" setting on both platforms was all about? Since they both say 2 days, I'm still unclear about the discrepancy.

You misunderstood what I was saying. On the Mac, I believe the only things counted as due soon are due actions, while on the iPhone, both due actions and due projects are counted. That would account for the number being higher on the iPhone than on the Mac.

Again, I might be wrong as I am working from memory (which isn't always great).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifonline View Post
You misunderstood what I was saying. On the Mac, I believe the only things counted as due soon are due actions, while on the iPhone, both due actions and due projects are counted. That would account for the number being higher on the iPhone than on the Mac.

Again, I might be wrong as I am working from memory (which isn't always great).
But everything that's due tomorrow, for example, is an action, not a project. Here's a screen shot of what's due tomorrow from within the general Contexts screen.

The one in purple is an action that's due tomorrow, but it's part of a project that has no due date itself. I also noticed that the ones that aren't showing up under the Due perspective are in parallel/sequential projects, as opposed to single-action lists, which again, doesn't mean it shouldn't show up on the Mac yet does on the iPhone.

Help? Ideas?

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Online.jpg
Views:	468
Size:	17.6 KB
ID:	1494  

Last edited by RFBriggs; 2010-07-22 at 12:57 PM..

I don't think we have enough information to diagnose the problem. What's different about the actions shown on the phone versus the desktop, besides how many there are? Does the phone just have extras? If so, what are their characteristics (e.g., due dates, project type, any children, any due dates on their parents, on their grandparents)?

The most recent iPhone releases changed to show action groups and projects among the remaining actions in context mode. These items become available when all of their children are completed. The 1.8 sneaky peek releases on the desktop work that way also, but version 1.7.5 on the desktop works the old way, where action groups and projects never appear in a context mode view.

If I had to venture a guess, it would be that the extra items you're see on the phone are action groups for which all the children have been completed.

Curt

Quote:
Originally Posted by curt.clifton View Post
I don't think we have enough information to diagnose the problem. What's different about the actions shown on the phone versus the desktop, besides how many there are? Does the phone just have extras? If so, what are their characteristics (e.g., due dates, project type, any children, any due dates on their parents, on their grandparents)?

If I had to venture a guess, it would be that the extra items you're see on the phone are action groups for which all the children have been completed.
Is it possible that the Mac uses exactly 48 hours to mean "2 days", and the iPhone doesn't look at time but merely dates to measure "2 days"? Once I hit 5pm my time, the Mac actions appeared in the due view that had already been there on the iPhone, and the only difference I could see was the 48 hours versus 2 calendar days.

Possible?

Just an update with some more information:

My iPhone currently shows 3 Due items, they are all due in 2 days at 5pm (so less than 48 hours from now).

On my Mac, only 1 of these items is showing. It is the child of a parallel action project with no due date of its own. The two items that are NOT showing in Due on the Mac have these attributes:

- Repeating task of a Single-Action List that starts again one month after completion.

- Action in a sequential project that has its own due date at the project level.

I hope this helps. It's disconcerting for me to have a different number of "Due" items in my iPhone than on my Mac.

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFBriggs View Post
Is it possible that the Mac uses exactly 48 hours to mean "2 days", and the iPhone doesn't look at time but merely dates to measure "2 days"? Once I hit 5pm my time, the Mac actions appeared in the due view that had already been there on the iPhone, and the only difference I could see was the 48 hours versus 2 calendar days.

Possible?
I think that's possible, but the folks I would ask to find out for sure are currently out of the office. Just to make sure something this doesn't fall through the cracks, can I ask you to email our support ninjas so we can investigate a bit more? I'd rather be over-cautious than under-cautious. :-)

Just emailed. Thanks.