The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Vote on Google Moderator for OmniFocus Feature Requests Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi Omnigroup,

I just properly discovered The Hit List. They've got some good ideas... Shame/lucky that their development seems have stalled, otherwise you'd have another serious competitor chasing you.

Not that I endorse them, but they had some good ideas for interacting with their customers:

On Googgle Moderator their users can cast their vote on feature requests for future software releases.

http://www.google.com/moderator/#16/e=1bf1

This would seem like a good idea for Omni's software products.

Best wishes,

Robbie

Omni already asks users to cast votes for feature requests by simply sending in feedback. The results, however, are not publicly displayed.

As I'm sure you know, user demand is only one of many factors to be considered when planning for future releases. Would a public display of voting results lead users to believe a feature is going to be implemented just because it's leading in the polls? That might lead to inflated expectations and unpleasant misunderstandings. :-)

-Dennis

Fair enough =) Omnigroup has a lot on their hands as it is, but I hope they get their act together.

I guess The Hit List developer is just fishing for ideas for his first release. He seems pretty busy though right now... Seems a little too unreliable for my taste to switch to though. It's still in Beta, the iPhone app has been promised for months now. Not a system I'd want to have to rely on. But he does have some good approaches.

Best wishes,

Robbie

Last edited by Robbie1702; 2010-04-07 at 03:38 PM..

I agree with Toadling.

Although it is useful for knowing what a great deal of people want developed in a piece of software, I don't agree that the Tyranny of the Masses is always right. Most commercial projects out there will yield to the Tyranny of the Masses because they want the most profits. But you also get examples of racism and the Third Reich. The developers are in charge of the ship. It's good to have feedback, but like any feedback it should play a part but not drive the ship.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyranny_of_the_majority
http://www.fortunecity.com/greenfiel...5/tyranny.html

The opposite end of the spectrum is the Tyranny of the Monarch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie1702 View Post
Fair enough =) Omnigroup has a lot on their hands as it is, but I hope they get their act together.
Weird-- in what universe could The OmniGroup be described as needing to get their act together? Not the one I'm living in, that's for sure.

In my own experience with OF... there are things I would like to see developed, some are in the majority, others in the minority. But enough of what I want in OF is there for me to keep using it and not search for an alternative.

What it comes down to is... the reality is what we have now. The software won't change now... it may in the future. So if it's not working the way I want it to I have some choices:
• Change the way I work
• Find a workaround or hack
• Find another product