The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Workspace question Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I'm a newbie to workspaces. Never thought of using them until now. I like the idea, but I'm confused (and I read the help file, which made me a bit more confused).

I've got the typical scenario. I want to open the same 4 news sites in tabs every morning. In other browsers, I would put the 4 in a bookmark folder, then choose "open all in tabs" to open the 4 in tabs simultaneously. Quick and easy.

So in OW, I open the 4 sites in tabs. I create a workspace, name it "news". Ok, close the window with the 4 tabs in it. New window, surf the web. Open my "news" workspace. The tabs are gone, it's just the page I was currently looking at.

Do I need to un-check "auto-save while browsing"? I want that workspace to always open a window with those 4 tabs. I would think saving a workspace freezes it as saved, no? I'm confused....

You either need to turn off the auto-save or switch between workspaces.

I put site in different windows and tabs and those into different workspaces. For example, I have one workspace devoted to each client. If I need to bring up one client's stuff, I hit F6 and switch to that workspace.

Then maybe I want to surf some forums and I have a workspace devoted to that. So I hit F1 and switch back to that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handycam
So in OW, I open the 4 sites in tabs. I create a workspace, name it "news".
You need to create the workspace first and then open the tabs you want in that workspace.

Definitely confusing.

Would be so much better if it were possible to create workspaces on the fly as in Opera or Firefox.

Thanks for the help.

Can you re-order workspaces? My new workspace is F1 and Default is F2. Obviously, I'd prefer to have default be F1.

I put a number in the front of the name.

Thanks! Would be nice if there was a more elegant way, but it solves the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handycam
My new workspace is F1 and Default is F2. Obviously, I'd prefer to have default be F1.
You can set your own defaults in the Keyboard Shortcuts panel of the Keyboard & Mouse Preference Pane.

Add OmniWeb as an application and then create a shortcut Default F1. I prefer to use something more meaningful, such as ctrl+D.

Edit: Hmm. Maybe this is not a good idea. I don't seem to be able to assign more than two shortcuts.

If you don't mind haxies, you could give Unsanity's Menu Master a try.

Last edited by derekJAB; 2006-07-12 at 11:21 PM..

Yes, but the function keys stick with the position in the list, and the content of the list moves around when workspaces are added or removed.

I'm not sure how this impacts the haxie you mentioned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest
Yes, but the function keys stick with the position in the list, and the content of the list moves around when workspaces are added or removed.

I'm not sure how this impacts the haxie you mentioned.
Ah, I see what you're getting at. Changing the keyboard shortcuts doesn't reorder the list. Menu Master won't change that.

Your method is clearly much better for a fixed list.