The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle Extras
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Expandable symbol logic stencils Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi all!
I'm trying to use OGP5 to diagram some Crestron programming that I do.
They use basic logic symbols and I want to build a stencil that I can use to show connections between the symbols. I have looked at the logic symbol stencils and they are a good start, but I need to extend or reduce the number of connections. For example, the "AND" symbol has four inputs and one output. I might need a version that has eleven inputs and one output. There are other symbols such as buffers where I might need to have 2 or more inputs and a like number of outputs plus an enable line input.

It would be very time consuming to create a new symbol for each number of inputs and outputs on a given symbol.

In the Crestron programming software (think of creating a circuit, but you can't draw lines to connect the points between the logic symbols, you name the inputs and outputs, like named connections are connected) you can use the ALT+Equals combination to add inputs and outputs to a symbol. and ALT+minus to remove them.

Is there a way to make such an extendable symbol that would let me add another label for the output and another matching connection point for "wires"?

To start with, a simple rectangle with a label at the top to tell what it is, with magnetic points on the sides (for the "wires" to stick to), and line for a label either inside or outside the rectangle that lines up with the magnet for wire connections would be great start.

Is this possible? or am I asking too much?

Danny
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sample Symbol Library.jpg
Views:	847
Size:	19.8 KB
ID:	844   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sample Analog.jpg
Views:	810
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	845   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sample 1.jpg
Views:	922
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	846   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sample serial.jpg
Views:	794
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	847   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sample Conditional.jpg
Views:	761
Size:	14.5 KB
ID:	848  

Last edited by dghpts; 2009-01-27 at 12:13 PM..

You can use the Magnet Tool to create, move, and delete individual magnet points on a shape, click it twice to persistently select it and click on a shape to create a magnet, click and drag to move one, and Option-click to delete an existing magnet.

You can also use the Connection Inspector to add magnets at the cardinal point set as well as putting N number of magnets distributed evenly along a segment of a shape's outline.

That should get you where you want to be, hope the above helps.

Joel, Thanks for the insanely quick reply, but that is how I am doing it now, I was looking for a simpler way.

I'm looking for a simple key combination to add a magnet and another label line spaced properly down the expanding rectangle.

Maybe this is a job for AppleScript, but I'm not a good enough scripter to try this one.

We have an existing feature request for a new type of magnet that would facilitate what you're after greatly, going to link this thread to the entry we have, but as always, sending feedback to omnigraffle@omnigroup.com is recommended as well.

thanks Joel!
I just put together an email and sent it.

Danny