The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Viewing OmniFocus Data in Other Applications Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Like many, my work typically involves a number of types of information. I use iCal for calendaring; Address Book for contact management; Mail.app for email; OmniFocus for task management; and Finder for file management. I much prefer managing each type of data it its own application, as opposed to the Entourage approach of throwing everything together. The one thing I haven't figured out, though, is how to view OmniFocus data that relates to other types of data in a single place at a single time. Sort of like a pseudo project manager. Or at least a project viewer.

With Leopard, I can set up a smart folder in the Finder that does the trick nicely. Using Quick Look and Cover Flow view, I can easily set up a smart folder to show contact information, recent and upcoming calendar events, mail messages, and related files. But not tasks.

Is there any way to access OmniFocus data on a folder/project basis via Spotlight? Some sort of metadata or applescript hook? Any suggestions?

I'm curious, how do others integrate their OmniFocus data with related data from other applications?

If you sync OmniFocus with iCal, then iCal will create iCal ToDos (iCal Files). Those iCal ToDos are discrete documents on your file system.

If you then include those in your finder search they will show up in your smart folder. You can even see them in cover flow view with the date due and the task name.

If iCal Tasks aren't showing up you may have to change the search to include Spotlight Items. To do that...

Bring up the finder search window (Cmd-f) and then click the plus sign next to the save button. That will add a bar that will have Kind and Any. Click on Kind to bring up the drop down list. If you don't see Spotlight Items there, select Other. That will bring up a complete list of attributes. Scroll down to Spotlight Items and put a check in the check box and click OK. Then in the box where it read "Any" should now read "don't include". Change that to "include".

I believe by invoking the Finder Search window by hitting Opt-Cmd-Space you also tell Spotlight to include Spotlight Items.

Thanks! That was a great idea -- worked like a charm. Since OmniFocus politely tags all the To Dos it places in iCal with the Project name, including the project name with the smart folder shows all of the tasks associated with the Project. Brilliant!