The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Syncing
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Frequently Asked Questions Re: OmniFocus Synchronization Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Does it work on both the original iPhone and iPhone 3G?
Yep, both generations of iPhone work perfectly fine. Of course, on an iPhone 3G, your synchronization over the cell network will be much faster.

If I have multiple databases, can I merge them?
If you have two or more databases that started out on different devices, they can't be automatically merged together. So if you already have an OmniFocus database on your Mac, and you start using OmniFocus for iPhone (or vice versa), you should set up synchronization right away.

Do I have to use Apple's MobileMe service to sync OmniFocus for iPhone version with the desktop version?
The short answer is "No, but MobileMe is definitely the easiest way to do it."

OmniFocus for iPhone uses a technology called WebDAV to sync data. (No third party applications have access to the wired sync that iTunes does; this is the only way we can do it.)

Please see this post for more information.

How often does OmniFocus for iPhone sync? Do I have to sync it manually every time?
OmniFocus for iPhone automatically syncs two minutes after you make a change, to make sure that the MobileMe (or WebDAV) server has an up-to-date copy of your database. Even if you don't change anything, it syncs every hour, in case some other device made some changes recently. Whenever you like, you can manually make a sync happen, as well.

When I try to sync, I get a 'no root transactions can be found' error. What does it mean?
OmniFocus 1.1 and later use a different database format than the previous releases did. If you have one of the old-style database in the same location you're syncing to now, you can get this error message. The solution would be to move the old-style database to a different location and then try the sync again.

When I try to sync, I get an error message that mentions "date separators"; what does that mean?
This should be fixed in current builds of OmniFocus for Mac and iPhone.

Last edited by Ken Case; 2008-07-29 at 08:01 PM.. Reason: iPhone version 1.0.1 is available now, no longer "coming soon"