The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

OmniGraffle for iPad is $49.95? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Case View Post
I think that's perfectly reasonable: you shouldn't spend that sort of money on faith, and we're not asking you to do so.

But having built that app, it's now our responsibility to demonstrate to your satisfaction that it's worth $50 of your money.

Tell us what you need to be able to make an informed decision, and we'll do our best to help you reach one. (And if your informed decision is not to purchase the app, we'll understand!)
Ken, this is a pretty classy response. It would be tempting for you to be a smart ass and start rattling off about dev costs and so on. I find it impressive that your response recognizes that the app must speak for itself.

Probably sounds a bit kiss ass, but I thought I'd comment.

Another reason I think Apple iPad apps are so cheap is that Apple wants you to buy a Mac and an iPad.

As companies create expensive software products, I think users will make either/or decisions: either I get a Mac and OG Pro, or I get an iPad and OGPad.

I would think you'd rather have a user who buys OG or OGPro and a $20 OGLite iPad version ( total income: $120 or $220) rather than just $50 from OG iPad alone.

Quote:
OmniGraffle for iPad isn't designed as a companion to the Mac app: it's designed as a complete standalone app, with support for multiple canvases, shared layers (only available in the Pro app on Mac), tables (also Pro-only on Mac), smart guides, automatic layout, text formatting, variable substitutions, and so on.
Thanks for the replies. One question, after thinking about this, is what happens to tables and other "PRO" features when you import an iPad graffle to the standard (non-Pro) version of the desktop Omingraffle app?

The iPad supports tables and other Pro features like shared layers, etc. Round-tripping between the desktop to the iPad and back again is non-destructive, features that aren't supported on OmniGraffle for iPad won't get lost in that transition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perpetuity View Post
Anyway, Long time user of outlined and graffle. I am surprised at the $50 buck pricing. At 15.00 for a companion to my desktop license I wouldn't blink. Since this would be self financed and not subsidized by my office yet 50 bucks is real steep and I will watch this parade from the sidewalk.
Yep, the bottom line is no matter how Omni 'reasons' this steep price, for many people their wallet will NOT open, and no sales will be made. Here's something else to keep in mind, there are other apps, very useful productivity apps, from very well known companies like Dragon NaturallySpeaking, which are FREE! So what the apps does doesn't not always equal its price. It's like they say, "do you want to be happy or do you want to be right"? They could sell 10 copies at 15.00 and make 150.00, or sell one copy at 49.95 and make one third that amount. The point is that at 49.95 they won't sell as many copies and won't make as much, but if that's what they want, then more power to 'em :p

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw001 View Post
Thanks for the replies. One question, after thinking about this, is what happens to tables and other "PRO" features when you import an iPad graffle to the standard (non-Pro) version of the desktop Omingraffle app?
OmniGraffle Standard for Mac understands tables and other "pro" features (and can open any document created by OmniGraffle Pro or OmniGraffle for iPad), it just doesn't let you manipulate them.

First, I was also a bit skeptical about the price. Perhaps this is a result of the 'dollar menu' economy we have grown accustom to in the App Store? I digress...

This is serious software folks! It's not a toy. Also comparing Omni's pricing strategy to that of Apple and Adobe is simply flawed. They are a small group with a very niche set of products. Again, I understand that we are taking a leap of faith - however, it's my belief that OmniGroup has a proven track record of quality software and excellent customer care.

If you cannot justify the $50 then you likely do not use this software in a professional manner where the cost could be justified in even a few successful projects. I'm a User Experience Designer...I have my head down in OG 70% of the day. My employer did not fund my iPad nor the purchase of this software, I bought it as a personal investment in my productivity.

Today during a brainstorming session I put it to the test - in a situation where I would normally paper sketch a wireframe. By the end of the hour I had an almost fully fleshed out wireframe and emailed the PDF to the other team members before they got back tot their desks. And later in the day I cleaned it up and added annotations on my desktop.

Sure, it wasn't the easiest - as I am still getting accustomed to the interface and conventions. However - it worked!

I have total faith this software will only get better! I understand it was developed exclusively on a desktop with no knowledge of the hardware constraints nor the usability aspects that can only be truly realized after using them in the intended environment.

Off topic: this is the longest message I have typed yet on the iPad and it too was a pleasure :)

Onward and upward OmniGroup... I cannot wait until the next, more refined update!

Just viewed the video tour and wanted to say wow, the app looks amazing. Hopefully I can pick up a license someday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWL View Post
Today during a brainstorming session I put it to the test - in a situation where I would normally paper sketch a wireframe. By the end of the hour I had an almost fully fleshed out wireframe and emailed the PDF to the other team members before they got back tot their desks. And later in the day I cleaned it up and added annotations on my desktop.
Right. Exactly.

The 9.5" iPad screen is great for mockups and casual editing. But there's no way I'd give up my 24" monitor attached to my MacBook Pro to edit the final version of a OmniGraffle document.

I can't see the 9.5" screen working with a pro application.

Maybe someday if they make iPad Maxi's. LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Púca View Post
I can't see the 9.5" screen working with a pro application.
It's a bit of a matter of taste. I'm the counter-example. I used a 12" iBook professionally for a very long time (Small, light, fits between one slightly oversized man and the next seat in a train etc.). The iPad has the same pixel count (1024x768) and similar advantages. Today I use a 13" MacBook whose 1280x800 is not significantly larger.