The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Filter by only items with due/available dates? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Is there a way of filtering your view to only show items which have an explicit Due or Available value? At the moment I can only seem to group by Due and show "Available/Next" items, which isn't really the same thing.

I've got a Perspective called 'Due-Available' that might be what you're looking for:

View Mode: Context
Focus: No Focus
Filter: Remaining
Grouping: Due
Sorting: Due
Action Filter: Available
Time Filter: Any Duration
Flag Filter: Any Flag State

Basically, it shows everything that has a due date *or* has an available action.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfkeydel View Post
I've got a Perspective called 'Due-Available' that might be what you're looking for:

Basically, it shows everything that has a due date *or* has an available action.
I think what the original poster is asking for is a perspective that shows everything that has a date assigned, whether due or start. I've wanted such a thing on occasion myself, and at least for me, your approach wouldn't work. I'm pretty sure that what the OP asks for cannot be done with the current system, and that the only available approach (other than a script that generates a report) is a pair of side-by-side windows, one showing only actions with start dates and the other showing only actions with due dates (there may be some duplication between the two, of course). To get these windows, a context mode view, grouped by start or due date, with the "start any time" or "no due date" groups closed would do the trick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
I think what the original poster is asking for is a perspective that shows everything that has a date assigned, whether due or start. I've wanted such a thing on occasion myself, and at least for me, your approach wouldn't work. I'm pretty sure that what the OP asks for cannot be done with the current system, and that the only available approach (other than a script that generates a report) is a pair of side-by-side windows, one showing only actions with start dates and the other showing only actions with due dates (there may be some duplication between the two, of course). To get these windows, a context mode view, grouped by start or due date, with the "start any time" or "no due date" groups closed would do the trick.
You're absolutely correct in what I wanted, for the reason that anything without a due or start date can easily be construed as "Someday/maybe". So this is like my "things I can work on now that I care enough about to assign a date to".

And as it turns out, I can't get Omnifocus to show a view like this. I'll send an email to the support ninjas.