The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Newbie / Moving Objects Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi guys,

I am very new at Omnigraffle. I just started playing around and it is quite an intersting software. Questions

1 - is there any way to zoom in, in the Stencil Palette? I know i can make it bigger but a large stencil palette will almost use all the size of the screen. I would just like to zoom in the detail of the stencil palette theme. Can that be done?

2 - I downloaded a series of stencils and i am placing them on the blank canvas. For example i put a couple of buttons and then down below a stencil of a search box to start my design. A very disturbing thing is that when i remove the buttons or the search box everything will change and will go to the middle of the screen changing the arragment and the design completly. Why is that? How can i avoid it?

Sorry for the long post and for my beginners english.

Cheers,
S

For #2, it sounds like you are using a document template with automatic layout turned on. You can change this with the diagram layout inspector for your current document.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
For #2, it sounds like you are using a document template with automatic layout turned on. You can change this with the diagram layout inspector for your current document.
Thanks whpalmer4. I will try to change it from the diagram layout inspector if i can find how to turn off.

Cheers,
S

Press cmd-3 to bring up the inspector, then uncheck the Automatic layout box in the Diagram Layout section.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2010-05-14 at 12.33.09 AM.png
Views:	848
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	1374  

For 1.

Just pick up the bottom right corner of the window and drag it) standard Apple functionality).

If the stencil is drawn properly, it will have a default size, where the objects are rendered well. Very few are, especially now that we have every tom, dick and harry uploading ordinary diagrams as "stencils". So you need to look at the several stencils available for your need and pick out the better ones. Some "stencils" do stupid things, such as: fill your screen; object size inconsistencies; incorrect or no handles; absence of scaling; no grid orientation; etc. Any of which pose obstacles to using them, and define them as non-stencils.

Not sure, from your wording, but ... you do not have too copy all the objects in a stencil: just leave the stencil open, next to your doc, go to the stencil; pick up one object; drag it onto your canvas. And so on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
Press cmd-3 to bring up the inspector, then uncheck the Automatic layout box in the Diagram Layout section.
Thanks for the good info! I can work more easily now. Great! I think i might use the KONIGI stencil anyhow...very nice work.

Cheers,

Quote:
Originally Posted by IncisiveOne View Post
For 1.

Just pick up the bottom right corner of the window and drag it) standard Apple functionality).

If the stencil is drawn properly, it will have a default size, where the objects are rendered well. Very few are, especially now that we have every tom, dick and harry uploading ordinary diagrams as "stencils". So you need to look at the several stencils available for your need and pick out the better ones. Some "stencils" do stupid things, such as: fill your screen; object size inconsistencies; incorrect or no handles; absence of scaling; no grid orientation; etc. Any of which pose obstacles to using them, and define them as non-stencils.
I was using the "SimpleWireFrame" Stencil design at the beginning and it looked very small specially with the light green background behind. I know i can resize the window but it will tend to fill a lot of the screen so that why i was asking for a resizing slider like iPhoto has. I am using the KONIGI Wireframe Stencil which feels more clear to me. Thanks for the good info!

Cheers,
Sebs

No worries.

The SimpleWireFrame is not a particularly good stencil.

Hang on, dragging the window resize does resize exactly like iPhoto (maybe you mean something else, such as you want horizontal and vertical scroll bars, which stencils do not have).

Alright, here's another method. Start with a doc and have the stencil you want open. Edit the stencil StencilMenu/Edit. Change it to suit yourself: give it a background to contrast the objects, improve the quality of the objects; etc. You can set the default size (as opposed to the real size, which is done by dragging the resize corner) by changing the magnification (while you are editig the stencil).

Quote:
Originally Posted by IncisiveOne View Post
No worries.

The SimpleWireFrame is not a particularly good stencil.

Hang on, dragging the window resize does resize exactly like iPhoto (maybe you mean something else, such as you want horizontal and vertical scroll bars, which stencils do not have).

Alright, here's another method. Start with a doc and have the stencil you want open. Edit the stencil StencilMenu/Edit. Change it to suit yourself: give it a background to contrast the objects, improve the quality of the objects; etc. You can set the default size (as opposed to the real size, which is done by dragging the resize corner) by changing the magnification (while you are editig the stencil).
I like the second option. The first option i did try it, but as i told you before if a stencil lik SimpleWireFrame looks very small in a my screen if a resize the window in order to see the stencil well it most certainly fill my screen.

Cheers,