The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Save Omnigraffle 5.1 files to be compatible with 4.x? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi,
I'm looking for how to save my 5.1 Omnigraffle files to be most compatible with 4.x. Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see any obvious answers under Export, Save As, or Google search.

Thanks!

The support ninjas may have more info, but if I remember correctly, the file format is designed to be forward-compatible. That means that the document should open in version 4; it'll render the document to the best of it's ability, but the v5-only content in the document will be ignored.

Yes, the file format is forward-compatible. Not just the file format, but more important, the object definition for each object. OM 5.x docs open in 4.x with no problem at all. Which really means, you open a 5.x doc, but you can only perform 4.x functions on the objects. You can even open 5.x stencils in 4.x.

I have not yet found "5.x-only content", I am not saying it doesn't exist, just that it is rare, and when you find such, you can fix it. AFAIK, there is either 4.x-functions or 5.x-functions on objects which are not version-specific, within limits and reaching the limits is rare.

The only "5.x only content" I have seen was very badly written (in 5.x) templates; once I rewrote the objects in simpler form, and re-saved the doc as a simpler 5.x template, it loaded perfectly into 4.x. Complex 5.x objects in templates cannot be rendered in 4.x. What I am saying is, if you have a need to frequently open 5.x docs in 4.x, keep them clean and simple, and keep the 4.x limitations (not really limitations) in mind.

Last edited by DerekAsirvadem; 2010-05-14 at 01:11 AM..