The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Can't get items to sort properly Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I can't figure out how to sort tasks within a given Project. Sometimes I don't have any sort options at all, and other times I can sort using the Edit menu, but can't sort by clicking on a column header.

Any ideas what I'm missing? I'm sure it's something simple.

Thanks!
Mark

Are you trying to rearrange the order of the actions in your project? If that's the case, you want to select the actions you wish to sort, then choose Edit->Sort->(your sort key). That permanently rearranges them, just as if you had dragged each one into the proper place.

If, on the other hand, you merely want to reorder the display without changing the underlying order, you can use the View Bar settings. One thing to note with the view bar is that in Project or Planning mode, it sorts on a project-by-project basis, and in Context mode, it sorts on an action-by-action basis. So, if you want to look at all of your actions and see which ones are due first, or added most recently, or something like that, you would go to Context mode and apply those settings to the view bar's Group and Sort controls.

Thanks, that really cleared it up. Still not as intuitive as I'd like, but at least I now see what I wasn't understanding before.

Thanks for the help!

Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwooten777 View Post
Still not as intuitive as I'd like
You don't get to say that without describing how you think it could be improved! What would make it easier to understand, without watering down the current functionality?

I went through OmniFocus, and for some reason, the column sorting seems to be working just great for me now. I have no idea why. I am either remembering wrong, or I had inadvertently set something incorrectly.

Thanks!

Sorting works as long as I am looking at Library view. Is there any way to sort the Inbox before performing a Clean Up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gplawhorn View Post
Sorting works as long as I am looking at Library view. Is there any way to sort the Inbox before performing a Clean Up?
You can do a permanent sort of the contents (or a portion thereof) by selecting a bunch of rows, then doing Edit->Sort->(sort key) or right-click or control-click to bring up the contextual menu and choose Sort->(sort key).