The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

How to schedule for weekday's only Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hello, i am moving over to OmniFocus for Mac and iPhone from Remember The Milk.

I have some tasks that are due weekdays, how do i set this up without duplicating these tasks 5 times, one per weekday, and making each due for monday, tues, etc..

I tried out Things for a while, and it allows me to select which weekdays, and Remember The Milk allowed for repeating "each weekday".

Where do i find the similar command in OF?

Thanks.

There isn't one at the moment. I tend to use the 5 copies approach, set to repeat weekly, with start dates set so they don't appear before the day they are relevant.

Send your feature request with Help->Send Feedback to boost the chances we'll get what you request.

Thank you for your response, i have gone ahead and set it up this way as well.

i also sent feedback as well!

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
There isn't one at the moment. I tend to use the 5 copies approach, set to repeat weekly, with start dates set so they don't appear before the day they are relevant.

Send your feature request with Help->Send Feedback to boost the chances we'll get what you request.
The problem here, of course, is that if you use "due soon" or "due or flagged" perspectives, the start date is really worthless; they're displayed anyway.

Weekly repeating items of moderate priority are issues in situations like this. I really don't need to know that my "weekly report" is due 7 days out ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatOne View Post
The problem here, of course, is that if you use "due soon" or "due or flagged" perspectives, the start date is really worthless; they're displayed anyway.

Weekly repeating items of moderate priority are issues in situations like this. I really don't need to know that my "weekly report" is due 7 days out ;-)
I second this concern - it would be very nice if "due or flagged" did not show actions that haven't started yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatOne View Post
Ah, but when I look at the "due" perspectives I want to see what is due, even if I can't (or don't want/need to) work on it yet. Looking at my due lists right now, I am having trouble seeing why I would want it otherwise, though perhaps my habit of only using the time-based groupings with the due views is responsible for that viewpoint.

I run with "Due Soon" set to 2 days, and start the day off with a look at a context mode view, due soon, grouped by due, sorted by due, which gives me a reminder of anything that is going to be time-critical. Then I'll look at a context mode view, available actions, grouped by start, sorted by project, to see what new items have become actionable today. A quick change of the flagged item selector in that view will let me see anything out of the union of (due soon | newly available) that has been flagged in my reviews for attention. This seems to work well for me, but your mileage may vary, as they say.

I can see that one might reasonably want the other behavior (obey start dates in due views), but it seems to me that the people who like the current behavior would be unhappy with the proposed behavior, and even if one wanted it some of the time, all of the time wouldn't be desirable. I don't see an clean, easy way to classify/specify a subset of actions/projects that would get the proposed behavior, do you?