The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Extras
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

OF iPhone HTML Export Script Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by haraldmartin View Post
Sorry, forgot to add this to the installation instruktions. You'll need to install to gems to make work, just do this in the Terminal (Applications → Utilities → Terminal):

sudo gem install markaby
sudo gem install appscript

Ciao
Please correct:
1st ocmmand worked but last one should be:
Code:
sudo gem install rb-appscript
otherwise you'll get:
Code:
computer:~ misha$ sudo gem install appscript
ERROR:  While executing gem ... (Gem::GemNotFoundException)
    Could not find appscript (> 0) in any repository
computer:~ misha$

Last edited by granin; 2007-11-10 at 02:04 PM.. Reason: Solved problem by myself

Quote:
Sorry, forgot to add this to the installation instruktions. You'll need to install to gems to make work, just do this in the Terminal (Applications → Utilities → Terminal):

sudo gem install markaby
sudo gem install appscript

Ciao
One last question. The first install worked fine. It asked me if I wanted to install dependencies and I said yes.

When installing the 'appscript' I get the following error:

ERROR: While executing gem ... (Gem::GemNotFoundException)
Could not find appscript (> 0) in any repository

Any advice is welcomed. I am so eager to try this! :) Thanks.

Sorry, the second gem to install should be "rb-appscript" so type:

and it will work. Thanks granin :)

Quote:
Sorry, the second gem to install should be "rb-appscript" so type:

and it will work. Thanks granin :)
Harald, thanks for the help. It seems that it did install and then got an error. Does this message ring a bell?

Need to update 38 gems from http://gems.rubyforge.org
complete
Building native extensions. This could take a while...
ERROR: While executing gem ... (Gem::Installer::ExtensionBuildError)
ERROR: Failed to build gem native extension.

ruby extconf.rb install rb-appscript
can't find header files for ruby.

Gem files will remain installed in /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/rb-appscript-0.4.0 for inspection.
Results logged to /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/rb-appscript-0.4.0/gem_make.out

Thanks SO much.

I think you have to have Apple's Developer Tools installed. They're free on your OS X install disk and/or downloadable from developer.apple.com

Ciao
Martin

This is really exciting: thanks for your hard work, haraldmartin. However I'm coming up with the following error message when I run the Sync OmniFocus with Safari.app:

Code:
sh: /Applications/OmniFocus: No such file or directory [Edit] [OK]
Clicking OK dismisses the dialog box and quits the application. Clicking Edit opens the AppleScript in Script Editor.

I am using Leopard. I have installed the Ruby Gems. I have the Developer Tools installed. I am using a non-administrator account. I haven't got any other data bookmarks in Safari.

OmniFocus is stored at /Applications/OmniFocus on my machine (so there is such a file or directory!).

The background: the first time I ran the script, it evidently did something but didn't complete (I never got a confirmation dialog; the Sync .app just quit after a fairly short while). When I went to my bookmark in Safari, I saw that data had been added to the URL field, but opening it revealed a white page: the same result when viewed on MobileSafari. Viewing the source of the 'blank page' revealed that the script had evidently put in some of the necessary CSS into the <head> section but nothing else:
I was going to post everything that was included in the source code here, but it seems that there is a 10,000-character limit on Forum posts (fair enough), and posting everything just pushed my message over the limit to 10,433 characters. Effectively, the script has managed to generate Base64 data which translates as far as ".proje" (it cuts out in the middle of the word!) in the source of the viewed bookmark.
Meanwhile, I saw that I had a number of archived builds of OmniFocus sitting in my /Applications/ folder, left there by the Automatic Updater. I moved those to the Trash—after doing this I tried running the Sync .app again, but that resulted in the error message I quoted at the beginning of this post. I quit and restarted OmniFocus, and then logged out and logged in again, but neither of these had any effect—always the same error message.

Sorry that this is such a long post but I would rather be thorough: this script package looks like it would be super-useful for me so I'm keen to get it working! Thanks again for your efforts.

Hi

I tried my scripts on a brand new, non-admin User Account (in Leopard) and I also have problems running them. I fixed some of the problems but I need some more time/work to make it a bit more solid.
I really want to wrap these scripts into an easier to use .app or something but right now I don't have very much time.

One solution would be to port the whole thing over to plain AppleScript. Then it wouldn't require DevTools or any gems installed and if I make it 10.5 only, I could change Safari's bookmarks.plist file using AppleScript (new in 10.5)

Let me work a bit more on this and I get back. If you have any suggestions, please let me know.

Last edited by haraldmartin; 2007-11-14 at 01:33 PM..

I just uploaded a new version (0.2) for you to test. The new version works for me on a new, non-admin user account so I think I worked around some of the bugs in the earlier version.
I also made the text-to-data encoding in the script itself so no need for the external FileMarkmaker-script which should work better since we don't need to create any temporary files. (the encoding was actually reduced to only 2 lines in ruby :)

Please try the new version. If the .app doesn't work for you, try running the ruby script directly from Terminal:

cd path/to/OFfline && ruby OFfline.rb

Get the updated version here.
Please send me any bugs and look into them.

Martin

Wow, thanks Martin for your very quick response! I've now got it working… sort of. Not everything is being synchronized. Some contexts which have got available tasks in are just showing up as the context name in the bookmark, with no tasks listed underneath… Thanks again for your help so far, though. I need to go to bed now, but will be sure to play with this considerably more in the morning. Here’s hoping that the promised SDK for the iPhone/iPod touch will provide frameworks for data to be synchronized between desktop and new native mobile applications…

Can you send me your context-structure and what contexts that aren't syncronized? I think the problems are related to nested contexts and since my contexts work fine I think I need yours for testing. If you can provide me with a sample OF-document that is not working, it would be great for testing.

Currently the script is limited to only two levels of contexts (e.g. Mac and Mac → Code works) but Mac → Code → Ruby won't sync. I'll take a look at it asap.

Last edited by haraldmartin; 2007-11-13 at 11:07 PM.. Reason: posted to soon