The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Can label text be curved along a line or path? [A: not yet, but a feat. req. is open] Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I'm trying to create a diagram of a cycle that is circular and would like to have text that runs along the curve of the circle. Is this possible with OmniGraffle Pro? If not, are there any work arounds or decent ways to accomplish this with other tools (other then Illustrator).

Thanks,

Mike

Can anyone help me here?

Can't do it in Graffle. Don't know about other apps.

I've done that with Stone Design's, Create app

http://www.stone.com/Create/Text_Handling.html

Corel Draw still rocks, even though it hasn't been supported in ages.

Building on Mike's question, I'd like to make a suggestion for development...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesale@yahoo.com View Post
I'm trying to create a diagram of a cycle that is circular and would like to have text that runs along the curve of the circle. Is this possible with OmniGraffle Pro? If not, are there any work arounds or decent ways to accomplish this with other tools (other then Illustrator).

Thanks,

Mike
Having text that flows or follows a curve or is anything but flat is a must for nearly any graphic designer or even for neophytes like me, just looking to make a snazzy business presentation. I mean, even Microsoft (!) can do it easy-peasy with WordArt. Why can't we do it in such a cracking programme like OmniGraffle?

I'd LOVE to have this feature appear very very very soon, if possible, please? pretty please?

Many thanks,

Michael

Building on Mike's question, I'd like to make a suggestion for development...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesale@yahoo.com View Post

Thanks,

Mike
Having text that flows or follows a curve or is anything but flat is a must for nearly any graphic designer or even for neophytes like me, just looking to make a snazzy business presentation. I mean, even Microsoft (!) can do it easy-peasy with WordArt. Why can't we do it in such a cracking programme like OmniGraffle?

I'd LOVE to have this feature appear very very very soon, if possible, please? pretty please?

Many thanks,

Michael

Hi Mike,
I've found a work-around, which is a bit labour-intensive, but works OK. (As computer artists, we're used to hard work, right?)
1. Create a line with the shape you want (you'll probably need to add points to make it look half-way good...).
2. Select the text tool and click it on the line (the line will have highlighted) to create a label
3. Now type the first letter of your text.
4. Repeat steps 2 & 3 until you've got all your text (OK, the letters of your text) arrayed along your line.
(I told you this would be labour-intensive...)
5. Highlight all the letters, and batch change them to be "parallel" to the line (under the geometry inspector)
6. Now drag each letter to where it belongs. (You may have to change the orientation of some of the letters by 180° (under the text inspector) to get them to stand up-right)

Hope this works for you! (Hope you've got the patience of a saint!)

Michael

I'm new to OG, trying to figure out if there is a way to run text along a curved path. For instance, I would like to make a curved arrow 50 points thick (for a Sankey diagram) and place text inside it, which follows the curve.

So far I haven't found the way to do this. Can I? Thanks —Michael

Can I add my support for that idea. It would really just be the bees knees if you could build this in to the program. I HATE having to go back to WORDART to do diagrams that need curved text.